WBB

After finishing 0-2 in the South Point Shootout, losing to Washington State and Virginia, the Nebraska women’s basketball team travels to Virginia Tech Thursday for an 8 p.m. tip.

Heading into practice this week, junior guard Emily Wood said the Cornhuskers have struggled maintaining consistent effort for the entirety of games.

“The biggest adjustments we’ve made is playing 40 minutes all out,” Wood said. “We’ve had stretches, and we had stretches in Las Vegas, where we’re executing and guarding really well. But then there were some stretches that weren’t our best.”

In NU’s first game at the South Point Shootout against Washington State, the Cougars went on an 18-0 run in the second quarter.  The Huskers were down by as many as 30 points midway through the third quarter.

Nebraska cut Washington State’s lead to 11 points with seven minutes left in the fourth quarter, but the Huskers couldn’t come back. The Cougars shot 55 percent from the floor and 62 percent from the three in the first half.

“Our biggest adjustment and goal heading into Virginia Tech is to play a complete game with our best execution and effort,” Wood said.

Junior guard Jasmine Cincore, who was the Huskers’ only player besides sophomore forward Jessica Shepard to make at least three fields goals in the second game in the South Point Shootout, elaborated on Wood’s assessment of the Huskers’ recent play.

“I still think everything right now is super new,” Cincore said about coach Amy Williams’ new system. “As soon as we get everything together, we’ll finish games.”

The Hokies are good.

Virginia Tech is 6-0 and have defeated basketball powerhouses No. 17 Tennessee and Georgetown. Virginia Tech remains unranked, but has received votes from the AP Top 25 and the USA Today Coaches Poll.

The Hokies are led by senior forward Sidney Cook and sophomore guard Chanette Hicks, who average 14 and 19 points per game, respectively.

Despite the Hokies robust offense, they’ve been out rebounded by their opponents, 230- 226.

“I think our main focus right now would be our ability to rebound,” Cincore said. “We have to control what we can control, and everything else will come.”

Nebraska enters Thursday night’s contest with a 3-3 record and is led by Shepard’s 18 points per game. The game will be broadcasted on the Husker Sports Network.