Women's Basketball vs. Rutgers Photo No. 2

Nebraska's Ashtyn Veerbeek (13) defends the ball in the game against Rutgers at the Pinnacle Bank Arena on Sunday, Jan. 13, 2019, in Lincoln, Nebraska. 

The Nebraska women’s basketball team will look to build off their last win and get back to .500 in Sunday’s game against Indiana.

Both teams have a chance to move up or fall down in the conference standings depending on the result. Both Indiana and Nebraska sit at 5-5 in conference play, tied for seventh in the conference.

Last time out, Nebraska, currently 10-11, snapped its two-game losing streak with an 84-64 blowout win on the road against Purdue. Junior guard Hannah Whitish starred in the win, scoring a season-high 28 points along with a career-high 12 assists. Freshman forward Ashtyn Veerbeek also played well, putting up 14 points and nine rebounds.

Whitish’s outburst helped her raised her scoring average to 10 points per game, which leads the team.

Indiana, which won the NIT tournament last year, stands at 16-6 on the season, but the Hoosiers have been heading in the wrong direction recently. After starting the season 14-1 and breaking into the top 25, Indiana has gone 2-5 in its last seven games.

Last year, the Hoosiers beat Nebraska 83-75 in Bloomington, Indiana. Former Indiana guard Tyra Buss, who is now playing overseas, lit up the Huskers for 37 points.

This time around, Indiana guards Jaelynn Penn and Ali Patberg will lead the team against the Huskers. Penn, a sophomore, put up 21 points in last year’s matchup and is averaging 13.4 points per game this season.  Patberg, a junior who transferred from Notre Dame, leads the Hoosiers in scoring with 15.4 points per game, along with 5.4 rebounds per game.

Another transfer for the Hoosiers who will make an impact is redshirt junior forward Breanna Wise. Wise transferred from Pittsburgh, and averages 13 points per game to go with a team-high 6.9 rebounds per game

Indiana will look to get to the line early and often in the contest. As of Jan. 30, the Hoosiers rank No. 18 in Division I in free-throw attempts.

Despite last year’s loss, Nebraska has been successful historically against Indiana. The Huskers are 5-3 against the Hoosiers since joining the Big Ten in 2011.

A win Sunday would put Nebraska in great position to make a run. After Indiana, the Huskers will face off against Michigan and Purdue, two opponents that Nebraska has already defeated this season.

In the Big Ten, every game matters, and this one will be extremely important for the Huskers as they enter the season’s final stretch.

Tip-off is at 2 p.m. at Pinnacle Bank Arena, and the game will be aired on BTN Plus.