wbb vs Drake

Taylor Kissinger (33) attempts to block a shot against a Drake player at Pinnacle Bank Arena on Wednesday, Nov. 7, 2018, in Lincoln, Nebraska.

The Nebraska women’s basketball team will travel to Wisconsin this weekend to take on the Badgers. The Huskers will try to bounce back from a loss against Northwestern on Thursday.  This will be the start of a two-game road trip for Nebraska.

The Huskers (9-10, 4-4 Big Ten) dropped a close game 58-54 against Northwestern on Thursday in Lincoln. Wisconsin (10-10, 1-7 Big Ten) lost to Penn State 65-59 on the same night. The loss extended the Badgers losing streak to six games.

Wisconsin started out the season on a roll, winning its first six games, but early-season injuries to players such as redshirt senior guard Lexy Richardson and junior forward Courtney Fredrickson have taken their toll. After a hot start to begin the season, the Badgers are winless since the calendar flipped to 2019.

Despite the injuries, Wisconsin still has veteran leadership on the court in the form of senior forward Marsha Howard. She leads the Badgers in 12.4 points-per-game and 9.3 rebounds-per-game, nearly averaging a double-double.  

The Badgers have also seen young players step up in the face of the injury problems facing Wisconsin. Freshman forward Imani Lewis has recorded seven double-doubles this season for Wisconsin and she has similar averages as Howard with 11.9 points-per-game and 7.9 rebounds-per-game.

While Wisconsin is seeing most of its scoring production from starters, Nebraska leading-scorers have come off the bench in every game. Freshman forward Leigha Brown and freshman guard Sam Haiby each are averaging 10 points-per-game, tied for best on the team, despite neither starting a game.

Sophomore center Kate Cain leads the team in the rebounding category with 6.3 per-game, but freshman forward Ashtyn Verbeek is neck-and-neck with Cain, averaging 6.1 rebounds-per-game. Verbeek, like Haiby and Brown has not started a game while Cain has started all 19 contests for Nebraska.

Overall, Nebraska is shooting 42 percent from the field and Wisconsin 39 percent. From beyond the arc, the Huskers have hit 35 percent of their shots compared to 28 percent or the Badgers.

This difference is in part caused by sophomore guard Taylor Kissinger, who is shooting 47 percent from three-point range for Nebraska. That mark is the eighth-best in the country for three-point shooting percentage.

Tip-off from Madison, Wisconsin is scheduled for 2 p.m. CST on Sunday. The game will air on BTN Plus