WBBRutgers

Sam Haiby (4) pushes through Rutgers defenders at Pinnacle Bank Arena on Sunday, Jan. 13, 2019, in Lincoln, Nebraska.

The Nebraska women’s basketball team will try to win its first game in over two weeks when it plays Illinois on Thursday at 7 p.m. in Champaign, Illinois.

The Huskers haven’t lived up to preseason expectations and are 7-9 overall and 2-3 in Big Ten competition. Nebraska is currently on a three-game losing skid against three of the best teams in the Big Ten in No. 19 Iowa, No. 9 Maryland and Rutgers.

The Huskers have a lot of inexperienced youth, as they are the only Big Ten team with two freshman as the top scorers.

Freshman forward Leigha Brown leads Nebraska by averaging 10.4 points per game and was named Big Ten freshman of the week earlier this season after career-high games against Ohio State and Iowa.

Freshman guard Sam Haiby is Nebraska’s second-leading scorer and averages 10.2 points per game.

The Fighting Illini are 9-7 overall and 1-4 in Big Ten play. They are 7-3 at home this season but have lost three straight games on their home court.

Illinois is led by senior forward Alex Wittinger, who averages 15.8 points, 7.9 rebounds and 2.7 blocks per game. She had 19 points and shot 9-10 from the field in Saturday’s 62-48 loss at Penn State. The rest of her team went a combined 9-45 from the field and 4-21 from the three-point line.

Junior guard Brandi Beasley is the only other Illinois player who averages in double figures with 10.4 points per game. She had a season-high 19 points in an 85-83 loss at home to Indiana on Dec. 28.

Nebraska defeated Illinois 62-47 the last time these two teams played in Lincoln on Feb. 1, 2018. Nebraska leads the all-time series against Illinois 12-5 and hopes to improve that record when Thursday’s game tips-off at 7 p.m. in Champaign.