Women's basketball Neb. vs. Kearney - Nov. 3

Kristian Hudson (11) charges to the basket against Kearney defenders during an exhibition game at Pinnacle Bank Arena on Saturday, Nov. 3, 2018, in Lincoln, Nebraska.

The Nebraska women’s basketball team cruised to a 94-41 exhibition win over the University of Nebraska at Kearney Saturday night.

The Huskers dominated right from the opening tip, starting the game off on a 9-0 run and leading 30-5 by the end of the first quarter. Three of Kearney’s five first-quarter points came on a half court heave from Cierra Dvorak to beat the shot clock.

The Huskers held the Lopers to just 15.4 percent shooting in the first quarter.

The game was even further out of reach as it reached halftime, as the Huskers built a 50-22 lead while shooting an efficient 51.3 percent.

By the game’s conclusion every player on the Nebraska roster had scored. Freshman forward Leigha Brown led the way with a game-high 13 points, while sophomore Taylor Kissinger, junior Nicea Eliely, junior Hannah Whitish, sophomore Kate Cain and freshman Ashtyn Veerbeek also scored in double figures. The team ended the game shooting 47.8 percent  from the field, including 38.1 percent from the three-point line.

Nebraska ended the game with a total of 17 assists, as Whitish and Senior Kristian Hudson both added 5 a piece.

The Huskers controlled the game defensively, limiting Kearney to 30.4 percent shooting and 16.4 percent from three. They also forced 25 turnovers, which included 15 steals. Leigha Brown and guard Nicea Eliely each had 3 steals.  Nebraska blocked 13 shots, with Cain picking up five of those on her own.

Nebraska led the game on the glass as well, out-rebounding Kearney 49-31. Veerbeek led the way in this category, notching 8 boards.

A bright spot for the Lopers was junior guard Cierra Dvorak, a transfer who played her first two seasons at North Idaho College. Dvorak led Kearney with 10 points on 4-10 shooting, and also added three steals.

Although the Huskers led in every statistical category, it was not necessarily a perfect game. The team racked up 14 turnovers, which is right around the 14.8 average they had last season that ranked 115th in Division I.

The Nebraska women will look to carry this momentum and solid play into their Nov. 7 season-opener against Drake University.