Sun Rutgers

University of Nebraska's Lexi Sun (11) spikes the ball during the Huskers' match against Denver at the Bob Devaney Center on Friday, Sept. 13, 2019, in Lincoln, Nebraska.

After taking down Purdue on Wednesday and wrapping up a four-game home stretch, Nebraska took a trip to College Park, Maryland to take on the Maryland Terrapins on Saturday. The Huskers came out on top, sweeping the match and earning their fourth straight win, making them 15-2 on the season and 7-1 in conference play. 

Nebraska finished the match with 42 kills and 44 digs. Junior Lexi Sun led the charge for Nebraska with 12 kills, while freshman Madi Kubik had 10. Junior Jazz Sweet had six kills and four of the team’s seven blocks on the night. Freshman Kenzie Knuckles led the team in digs with 11, while sophomore Nicklin Hames led in assists with 27. The Huskers also continued their defensive run, holding Maryland to a .143 hitting percentage. Nebraska had their second highest hitting percentage of the season with .337. 

Maryland gave the Huskers a fight throughout the three sets, but as the match went on, the Huskers gained more and more ground. 

“I thought we broke them down and imposed our will on them,” head coach John Cook said in a Lincoln Journal Star article. “We were pretty low-error and did some nice things.”

The first set started as a back-and-forth battle which included long rallies and aggressive kills by both teams. After being tied at six, the Huskers attempted to break away by jumping ahead to a four point lead, but Maryland responded, closing the gap to one. The shootout continued but Nebraska stayed ahead throughout. The Huskers took a four-point lead of 19-15, which then grew to 24-16. The Terps tried to spark a run, earning two kills and an ace to score three straight points. Lauren Stivrins ended the comeback by grabbing another kill to end the set 25-19. 

The game of cat and mouse continued as the Terps stayed with the Huskers in the second set. Nebraska kept the lead throughout, even with Maryland right on its heels. Once again, the Huskers pulled away and made the score 24-16. This time, however, the Huskers finished and sealed the set 25-16. 

Nebraska kept the fire burning, taking an 8-2 lead in the third set. Maryland couldn’t dim the flames as they were kept at bay for the whole set. The Huskers would finish off the sweep, winning the set 25-13.

“They’re really figuring out ways to help each other,” Cook said. “You get to see some of these rallies and you think it’s over and then all of a sudden, here comes somebody for a dig. They put it somewhere and we kill it.”

This is the Huskers’ eighth sweep of the season, and they remain undefeated on the road. Their next game will be Friday, Oct. 25 in Bloomington, Indiana, where they will go up against the Indiana Hoosiers.