Volleyball vs. Indiana

Lexi Sun spikes the ball during a match against Indiana at the Bob Devaney Sports Center on Wednesday, Oct. 10, 2018, in Lincoln, Nebraska.

No. 6 Nebraska volleyball swept the Indiana Hoosiers in Bloomington, Indiana and extended their winning streak to six consecutive games.

Nebraska now sits at 21-6 overall this season and 12-5 in the Big Ten.

Indiana opened the scoring in the first set and held an early lead at 3-2, but Nebraska came back and went on a 4-1 run taking back the lead. The Huskers pushed to separate themselves from the Hoosiers. Indiana middle blocker Hayden Huybers hit a kill to bring the score 11-10, but Nebraska answered back with three more points and forced an Indiana timeout. The Huskers were leading the set 14-10.

Nebraska continued to keep its distance into the end of the set after scoring six straight points on the Hoosiers, leading 20-11. Nebraska earned three more straight points, and after allowing an Indiana point, a ball handling error by the by Indiana’s setter Abigail Westerhofer ended the set, 25-13.

Set two saw another even start between the two teams. The biggest point deficit was two points as Nebraska led 6-4 early in the set, but Indiana was able to pass the Huskers and get the lead, 10-9. Nebraska was able to match and then pass the Hoosiers to take back the lead at 17-13, with kills from setter Nicklin Hames and outside hitters Jazz Sweet and Lexi Sun.

A 3-0 run by Nebraska ended after a kill from Indiana’s Kamryn Malloy to bring the score 20-14. A service error by Indiana gave Nebraska another point, and two more points by Indiana closed the gap to 21-16, but Nebraska closed the set, winning 25-19.

Nebraska took an early 4-2 lead in the third set. . The Huskers began to pull away and create a larger gap, but the Hoosiers answered back and stuck with the Huskers at 11-10, Nebraska leading.

A perfect run by Nebraska brought the score to 17-11, and a service error by libero Megan Miller gave the ball back to Indiana, but not for long. Nebraska answered with four straight points to extend its lead to nine points.

Indiana tried to hold on to the game and closed the gap six points, but it wasn’t quite enough as an Indiana service error closed the set 25-19.

Nebraska dominated the offensive game against Indiana, hitting .388 on the night. Middle blocker Lauren Stivrins had an almost perfect offensive night, hitting .524 and zero errors against the Hoosiers. She made 11 kills on 21 attacks and one service ace.

Foecke led the game with 14 kills and hit .387. She rounded off the night with three blocks and five digs to help the Husker defense. Foecke accounted for 15.5 of Nebraska’s 60 points.

Nebraska defense held the Hoosiers to a .216 hitting percentage and 34 kills on the night. Indiana middle blocker Lexi Johnson  led the team with eight kills and a .500 percent hitting percentage.

Outside Hitter Breana Edwards also helped the Hoosiers, hitting .389 on the night with seven kills.

Nebraska heads back to Lincoln to take on Ohio State and Maryland for the final two regular season games. The Huskers will take on Ohio State first on Friday, Nov. 23, followed by Maryland on Saturday, Nov. 24.