Volleyball vs. Purdue 2

Kayla Caffey (3) and Madi Kubik (10) jump to block during the volleyball game against Purdue at Bob Devaney Sports Center on Saturday, Oct. 23, 2021 in Lincoln, Nebraska.

The No. 11 Nebraska volleyball team was able to take down Big Ten foe Indiana in four sets on Sunday, claiming the victory 3-1. The win improved the Huskers to 20-6 on the season.

Nebraska was able to finish with 62 kills in the match to go along with a hitting percentage of .210. Leading the way was freshman outside hitter Ally Batenhorst who posted 11 kills and a .333 hitting percentage. Senior outside hitter Lexi Sun also had a solid showing with 11 kills of her own to go along with a .310 hitting percentage.

Freshman outside hitter Lindsay Krause put up 11 kills with a .125 hitting percentage while senior middle blocker Lauren Stivrins added 10 kills and a .391 hitting percentage. Rounding out the top five for the Huskers was junior outside hitter Madi Kubik with nine kills and a .037 hitting percentage. 

The first set was tight throughout as neither team was able to pull away. Indiana grabbed an 11-7 lead after a back-and-forth to begin the set. After Nebraska grabbed points back, the Hoosiers extended their lead to 16-10 with the set on the verge of a runaway in Indiana’s favor. 

Indiana built a lead as substantial as 19-12, but the Huskers roared back in the face of adversity and narrowed the Hoosiers’ lead to 24-23. However, Indiana was able to close out the first set win giving it a 1-0 advantage.

In the second set, Nebraska stormed out to a quick 5-1 lead before it quickly became 5-4 with a Hoosier run. The Huskers held a 13-7 advantage after a run of their own as they looked to even up the affair in the second set. Nebraska ran ahead to a 21-15 lead and, unlike Indiana in the first set, maintained that lead and leveled the match with a 25-18 victory.

The third set continued the trend of close sets as it stood 10-9 in the early going with the Hoosiers on top. Indiana finally put a run together as it stretched the lead to 17-11 as the Huskers looked in danger of falling down 2-1. 

Nebraska then pushed the game to 18-17, fueled by a 5-0 run as it got right back into the set with Indiana clinging to a one point lead. After some back-and-forth of trading points, the Huskers led 23-22 before putting away the Hoosiers and claiming the second set 25-22.

Nebraska roared ahead to a 10-2 lead in the fourth set thanks to an impressive 9-0 run that pushed them to a big advantage early on. The Huskers would continue to dominate as they led 17-7 with the Hoosiers finding themselves in a difficult position. Nebraska stormed ahead to a 22-9 lead and looked to finish off Indiana. 

A 5-0 run by the Hoosiers made things a little more interesting with the score sitting at 24-16, but the Huskers fought off the Hoosiers’ comeback efforts and secured the set and the match victory.

Nebraska’s next match will come on Friday, Nov. 19 at 8 p.m. against Penn State.