Nebraska Volleyball vs. Hawaii Photo No. 17
Nebraska's Kenzie Knuckles (2) talks with assistant coach Kayla Banwarth on the bench during the game against Hawaii at the Wisconsin Field House on Friday, Dec. 13, 2019, in Madison, Wisconsin.

Nebraska volleyball assistant coach Kayla Banwarth has been named head coach at the University of Mississippi, Nebraska announced Saturday via a press release.

Banwarth becomes the third Nebraska assistant to take a Division I head coaching job in the last four years, joining Chris Tamas and Dani Busboom Kelly. 

She joined the Huskers as an assistant coach in January 2017, and helped lead the team to an NCAA Championship that year as the recruiting coordinator and libero coach. She also helped Nebraska to a championship appearance in 2018 and an Elite Eight appearance in 2019.

Banwarth also had an illustrious playing career prior to becoming a coach, and spent her collegiate career with the Huskers. She became the starting libero midway through her freshman season, and remained the starter as she helped lead the Huskers to three Big 12 titles and an appearance in the NCAA semifinals.

After her playing career at Nebraska, she played professionally up until 2016, even winning a bronze medal with the USA Olympic team in 2016.