Nebraska Football vs. Illinois Photo No. 15

Nebraska's Collin Miller (31) makes contact with Illinois' Reggie Corbin (2) during the game at Memorial Stadium on Saturday, Sept. 21, 2019, in Champaign, Illinois.

Nebraska Athletic Director Bill Boos and Illinois Director of Athletics Josh Whitman announced this morning that the Nebraska-Illinois football game slated for Saturday, Aug. 28, 2021, will be held at the Aviva Stadium in Dublin, Ireland. The game will be the Cornhuskers’ opening game of the 2021 season.

“Playing a game in Ireland provides another way to spread the Nebraska brand, and in this case on an international stage,” Moos said per the official website. “We are always looking for new scheduling opportunities and when this was presented, Coach Frost and I decided this would be an experience of a lifetime for the student-athletes in our program. This will also be a great trip for our fans, and knowing how Huskers fans travel it will be great to see Dublin, Ireland turn red.”

The announcement included news about a shift in the 2021 game schedule. The Nebraska-Illinois game was originally scheduled for Nov. 13, 2021, but now the Huskers will play FCS Southeast Louisiana at Memorial Stadium on that date. 

The game in Dublin will be the first international game the Cornhuskers have played since 1992, when they played Kansas State in Tokyo, Japan. 

The game is part of the Aer Lingus College Football Classic series at the Aviva Stadium. It will be the second college game of five that will be held in Dublin. The first will be Navy versus Notre Dame on Saturday, Aug. 29, 2020. 

“We look forward to taking our team to Ireland to kick off the 2021 season against Illinois,” NU head coach Scott Frost said in a statement released Monday morning. “This will provide great exposure for the Nebraska football program and the Big Ten Conference. Our first priority for the trip will be to play a football game, but it is also going to give our players a chance to visit a part of the world most of them will not have seen.”