swim and dive

The Nebraska swim team competes in an intrasquad meet at the Devaney Natatorium on Oct. 6, 2017.

After coming off an impressive win against Iowa State on Oct. 21, the Husker swim and dive team faced tough losses on the road at Arkansas and Kansas this past weekend.

On Friday, Nov. 3, the meet started with the 400-yard medley, where the Huskers took second place with the relay team of sophomore Carla Gonzalez-Garcia, senior Jordan Ehly, junior Dana Posthuma and sophomore Allie Worrall finished with a time of 3:49.27, just three seconds shy of Arkansas’s first place. The other relays for the Huskers took fourth, sixth and seventh.

Freshman Autumn Haebig put some points on the board for the Huskers by grabbing third place in the 1,000 yard freestyle. Haebig was a four-time state champion in the 500 freestyle during her high school career.

Following that, three Huskers picked up back-to-back-to-back finishes in the 200-yard freestyle. Gonzalez-Garcia, junior Kaylyn Flatt and Worrall took second, third and fourth place respectively. Those top-5 finishes were within seconds of each other and earned Nebraska a total of nine points.

Later, junior Anna McDonald and Ehly also secured some points for the Huskers in the 400-yard individual medley. Ehly finished third behind Arkansas’s Jessie Garrison and Chloe Hannam with just seconds to spare. McDonald finished fifth, giving the Huskers four more points in that event.

The Huskers started to gain momentum toward the end of the meet where the top three places in the 200-yard breaststroke were taken by Nebraska’s Ehly, sophomore Tori Beeler and sophomore Gwen Worlton. And another top four finish in the 400-yard freestyle relay grabbed the Huskers 15 points.

They finished the meet with sophomore Abigail Knapton taking second place in the 3-meter dive and third place in the 1-meter dive. Junior Katrina Voge also helped the Huskers score points by placing sixth in both the 1-meter and 3-meter dives.

But the meet ended with a final score of 154–84, with the Razorbacks edging out the Huskers by a significant margin for the third time since 2013.

On Nov. 4, the Huskers faced the Jayhawks in a tight competition. The Huskers kicked off the meet with a second-place finish in the 200-yard medley.

Flatt then finished second in the 1,000-yard freestyle, and freshman Rachel Powers finished fourth, bringing in a total of six points for the Huskers.

Haebig, senior Katt Sickle and freshman Jessica Pentlarge did not disappoint in the 200-yard freestyle. Within seconds of each other, the athletes took second, fourth and sixth, respectively.

Beeler had an impressive day in Lawrence, Kansas. After helping her relay team place second in the 200-yard medley, she had a first place finish in the 100-yard backstroke as well as in the 200-yard IM.

Ehly then added to the Huskers’ success by taking first in the 200-yard breaststroke and took second behind Beeler in the 200-yard IM. Beeler also had a nice third place finish in the 200-yard breaststroke.

The Huskers had a successful day in diving. Knapton and Voge took both first and second place, respectively, in the 1-meter and 3-meter dives.

But even with those top finishes, Nebraska couldn’t take the lead and ended the day with 141 points, 18 points shy of Kansas, bringing the team record to 2-2.  

Husker diving will head to Minneapolis, Minnesota, next weekend Nov. 9-11, to dive in the Minnesota Invitational. The swim and dive team will go against Mizzou Tigers in the Mizzou Invitational in Columbia, Missouri, Nov. 16-18.