Scarlet vs. Cream Intrasquad Meet - Sept. 27, 2019

Nebraska swimmers start off the blocks during the Scarlet vs. Cream Intrasquad Meet at the Bob Devaney Sports Center-Natatorium on Friday, Sept. 27, 2019.

Nebraska swim and dive started off its season with an intrasquad meet on Friday, Sept. 27.

For assistant coach Patrick Rowan, the intrasquad meet, which involves teammates swimming against each other, is a good way to ease into the season.

“It’s just been practice and training but now it’s real … from getting in shape to I'm getting ready to race now,” Rowan said in an interview.

Freshman Berkeley Livingston, senior Gwen Worlton, sophomore Maggie Berning and freshman Kimberly Lanaghen were able to win the 200-meter medley relay for the Cream, which brought them an early lead. 

Starting off the individual races with the 200-meter freestyle, junior Rachel Powers took first for the Cream, and in second place was sophomore Audrey Coffey for the Scarlet. 

Senior Tori Beeler took first in the 200-meter IM for the Scarlet, just out-touching Livingston. 

“The races were rough but it was fun to compete and have everyone cheering again,” Beeler said. “Everyone is super competitive which just makes everyone else better.”

Junior captain Izzie Murray gave the Scarlet another win in the 50-meter freestyle, while junior Sutton Marvin touched second for the Cream. 

In the 100-meter butterfly, Lanaghen just out-touched junior Madison Coughlen. 

The 100-meter free was Livington’s second event win for the Cream, finishing just ahead of Scarlet sophomore Taylor Acheson.

Coffey was able to get her own win for the Scarlet over Powers in the 400-meter freestyle.

Sophomore diver Hallie Roman won the one-meter diving competition for the Cream, and was also able to take first place in the diving 50-meter freestyle. Roman enjoyed the meet as a whole, specifically liking the opportunity to try something different. 

“It’s cool trying something new [swimming], having the swimmers come and teach us how to swim races and then us teaching them how to dive is cool,” she said. “Seeing how the team can come together is something special we have.” 

In the 100-meter backstroke, senior Lindsey Stalheim earned first place for the Cream, beating Allison Kopas. 

Worlton also won her second event in the 100-meter breaststroke. To end the meet, the Scarlet team won the 200-meter freestyle relay with senior Carla Gonzalez-Garcia, Coffey, Barth and Coughlen finishing just ahead of Cream swimmers Kopas, Marvin, Powers and Lanaghen.

The Huskers’ first official meet will be when they travel to South Dakota State on Friday, Oct. 11. The next time Nebraska will be back at the Devaney Center Natatorium is Saturday, Oct. 19, against Iowa State.