Sports Sig

The Nebraska softball team split its doubleheader against the Iowa Hawkeyes on Wednesday.

The Huskers won the first game of the day 7-5 before dropping the second contest 3-1.

Neither team mounted much offense in the first two innings of game one, but Nebraska broke the scoreless tie in the top of the third inning.

Senior infielder Madi Unzicker drew a one-out walk and senior outfielder Alyvia Simmons singled to put two runners on for junior infielder Tristen Edwards. A double-steal moved Unzicker and Simmons to second and third and Edwards made sure everyone got home safely by hitting a three-run home run to give Nebraska a 3-0 lead.

Iowa also broke through in the bottom of the third. A two-out RBI single by freshman infielder Cameron Cecil made the score 3-1. The Huskers got the run back in the top of the fourth inning though. After senior catcher Bri Cassidy drew a two-out walk, junior infielder Lexey Kneib hit a double to left-center to score Cassidy and increase the Husker lead back to three at 4-1.

The Hawkeyes took advantage of a pair of Husker errors in the bottom of the fourth inning to take its first lead of the game. With two outs and a runner on second, freshman outfielder Kate Claypool reached on an error to keep the inning alive.

Three consecutive Hawkeye singles and a second Husker error in the inning kept the two-out rally alive for Iowa. When Nebraska finally got out of the inning, the Hawkeyes scored four unearned runs off the errors and took a 5-4 lead.

Undeterred, the Huskers responded in the top of the sixth inning with offense of their own. Cassidy hit a one-out single to score Wallace, who led off the inning with a walk, to tie the game at five.

Cassidy was then replaced by pinch-runner freshman Anni Raley. She scored three batters later as Simmons hit an RBI single, giving the Huskers a 6-5 lead.

Nebraska got an insurance run in the top of the seventh inning as Unzicker drew a bases-loaded walk to make it 7-5. Iowa got a runner on in the bottom of the seventh, but Nebraska closed the game on a 6-4-3 double play to preserve the win.

Game two of the doubleheader provided much less offense. Through the first four innings of play, Nebraska managed just three baserunners and Iowa only put two runners on base.

In the top of the fifth inning Nebraska broke through. Cassidy led off the inning with a single and sophomore outfielder Rylie Unzicker pinch ran for her. Two groundouts allowed Unzicker to advance to third. Simmons then hit a single to score Unzicker and put Nebraska on the board with a 1-0 lead.

Iowa responded in the bottom of the fifth inning with a pair of runs of its own. After a leadoff walk and sacrifice bunt, the Hawkeyes had a runner on second. A Husker fielding error allowed a run to score and tie the game at one. Junior outfielder Havyn Monteer then singled to score another Iowa run and give the Hawkeyes a 2-1 lead.

The Hawkeyes tacked on one more run in the bottom of the sixth inning thanks to a two-out RBI single by freshman infielder Sydney Owens to give Iowa a 3-1 lead.

The Huskers got a leadoff single in the top of the seventh, but failed to rally and lost 3-1.

Nebraska returns home this weekend for its final home series of the regular season. The Huskers will take on the Maryland Terrapins in a three-game series from April 26-28.