s-SoftballSeasonPreview

Following a disappointing 2019 campaign, Nebraska softball will look to take advantage of its mixture of youth and experience to improve this season.

Last season, the Huskers finished with a record of 21-31 and a conference record of 9-14.

As the team heads into a new season, it will again be led by head coach Rhonda Revelle, who is going into her 28th season with Nebraska. Boasting an overall record of 989-568, Revelle has won more games than any other coach in the history of Husker Athletics.

Along with Revelle, the Huskers are returning 16 players from last year, along with two freshmen and a transfer joining the team as well. Seven of those 16 players are sophomores and one is a redshirt freshman, meaning young depth is essential to the Huskers’ improvement this season.

Some of the most essential players of those 16 are senior outfielder Tristen Edwards, sophomore pitcher/utility Courtney Wallace and senior outfielder Bree Boruff. 

Boruff played in 42 of 52 games last season, including 25 starts in left field and one start in center field. She hit .280, which was the fourth best on the team.

Boruff will look to add to her already impressive career as a Husker in her final season at Nebraska. 

Wallace pitched in 29 games last season, including 14 starts. She finished the year with an ERA of 4.82 and an overall 4-7 record, recording 63 strikeouts in 97.1 innings pitched and pitching in one of Nebraska’s three shutouts. 

Wallace also showed her talents from the plate in 47 of 52 games, including 40 starts. In those games, Wallace spent 14 at pitcher, five at third base, four at left field and 17 as the designated player, and was the only Husker to make starts at four different positions.

Wallace hit .227 with 17 runs, 27 hits, five doubles, three home runs, 15 RBIs and 11 walks, along with a team-high four triples. 

Edwards is coming off of another strong season for Nebraska, and looks to maintain that consistency in her senior season. Edwards played in all 52 games, spending 44 starts at shortstop and eight starts in left field. Edwards moved into eighth on Nebraska's all-time home run list with 31 last season and is tied for first on Nebraska's career multi-home run games with six. 

Edwards earned first-team All-Big Ten honors for the second straight season in 2019 and was named to the NFCA All-Midwest Region third team for the first time in her career. Most recently, she was named as one of 50 players nationally on the preseason USA Softball Player of the Year Watch List. Edwards is the first Husker on the watch list since former All-American MJ Knighten. 

Boruff, Wallace, Edwards and the rest of the team will look to improve on their 2019 record, especially in Big Ten matchups against top-25 teams Minnesota and Wisconsin. Nebraska also has big matchups against school rivals No. 5 Oklahoma and Creighton. 

The Huskers will see their first action of the season against New Mexico State, Bradley, Arkansas and UTEP in the Troy Cox Classic this weekend, starting with New Mexico State on Thursday, Feb. 6 at 5 p.m.