Rhonda Revelle

Rhonda Revelle, head coach of the Huskers softball team, talks to a player before she goes to bat during the game against Colorado State on Sept. 30, 2017, at Bowlin Stadium in Lincoln, Nebraska.

The University of Nebraska placed softball coach Rhonda Revelle on paid administrative leave after the completion of an unspecified review. 

“We take seriously any concerns raised regarding our student athletes.” Nebraska Athletics said in a press release to the Omaha World-Herald. “As part of our due diligence, Coach Revelle has been placed on paid administrative leave pending the completion of a review. ”

Nebraska Athletics has not established a deadline for the review’s completion.

After men’s and women’s track and field coach Gary Pepin, Revelle’s tenure is the second-longest at Nebraska. She has been coaching for Nebraska since 1993 and played for the Huskers from 1981 to 1983.

The Omaha World-Herald reported that student-athletes have shared concerns with the athletic department and university officials in meetings following the 2019 season.

The same article said current student-athletes were instructed to report any softball-related questions to associate head coach Lori Sippel until after the review’s completion.

The press release reportedly did not address concerns from student-athletes, according to the same article.

Revelle has coached Husker softball for 27 seasons with a record 989-568, a .635 winning percentage. She is one of 30 coaches in Division I history to surpass 900 career wins. Additionally, Revelle has been named NCAA conference coach of the year four times. She was inducted into the National Fastpitch Coaches Association Hall of Fame in 2010. 

Under Revelle, Nebraska has gone to 20 NCAA tournaments from 1995 to 2016. For the past three seasons, the Husker softball team has not made it to an NCAA tournament after being defeated by Penn State in 2016.

Nebraska also went onto three Women’s College World Series in 1998, 2002 and 2013.

Nebraska’s softball camp is still scheduled to take place this week at Bowlin Stadium.