Aubrei Corder - Nebraska Soccer - Fall 2019

Nebraska's Aubrei Corder kicks the ball during the Husker's matchup against Illinois at Hibner Soccer Stadium on Saturday, Sept. 29, 2019, in Lincoln, Nebraska.

A difficult day for Nebraska soccer resulted in an easy win for Michigan at home.

After conceding multiple corners, Nebraska found itself down in the 23rd minute when Michigan sophomore midfielder Meredith Haakenson found the bottom right corner off of a corner kick from junior midfielder Samantha DeVecchi, who grabbed the assist. 

Only 13 minutes later, Michigan was able to find the back of the net again as junior midfielder Sarah Stratigakis pushed up the left wing and found junior midfielder Nicki Hernandez who hit the ball into the top right corner. The Huskers put together good runs and were able to find some opportunities, but they were unable to find the net as the game went to halftime still 2-0 in favor of Michigan.

The Huskers came out of halftime looking to cut into Michigan’s lead and were able to do just that, as senior midfielder Meg Brandt sprinted up the right wing and delivered a perfect ball to junior midfielder Theresa Pujado who slotted it home easily past the sweeping keeper. 

Nebraska found its groove in the second half, leading Michigan in shots 4-1 early in the half. But the Huskers gave away another goal, as sophomore defender Ashley Zugay passed back and found a Michigan opponent instead of a teammate, resulting in a three-on-two break for Michigan. Senior goalkeeper Aubrei Corder was able to stymie the shot for a moment before a Nebraska midfield breakdown helped a Michigan attacker find the back of the net, grazing Corder’s gloves on the way in. 

The Wolverines were able to stretch their lead further as a free kick was cleared out to a Michigan winger who put a cross into the box. Michigan sophomore midfielder Kierra Krawec was left unmarked as her defender tripped, and she found the back of the net via a first-time volley and an assist from freshman midfielder Skylar Anderson. 

An already poor day got worse when sophomore midfielder Kenzie Coons left the match with an injury after colliding with a Michigan player late in the game. 

With the loss, Nebraska falls to 3-8-2 overall and 2-4-0 in conference play. The Huskers return home to face Big Ten opponent Maryland at 7:05 p.m. on Oct. 11 at Barbara Hibner Stadium.