s-SOCvsBaylor_Everding

Nebraska's Meg Brandt (22) battles for possession against Baylor's Maddie Algya (10) during the game against Baylor at the Barbara Hibner Soccer Stadium on Sunday, Sept. 1, 2019, in Lincoln, Nebraska.

Looking to bounce back after a loss to Clemson, Nebraska was able to tie with No. 21 Baylor 1-1. 

Baylor was able to get on the scoreboard first with a rebound goal from senior forward Halee Sowinski with 18:39 left in the first half. Later in the first half with 9:41 left, Nebraska senior defender Sinclaire Miramontez scored an impressive goal, which gave the Huskers the energy they needed. In a post game interview, Miramontez recalled the goal. 

“I saw an opportunity, and wanted to test the goalie early,” she said. “I saw that she was off her line, got just the right curve on it and was able to put it in the upper right 90 [corner of the goal]”. 

In the second half, the Husker defense came in strong, as they were able to stop Baylor’s offense deep into Nebraska territory. However, Nebraska was unable to take advantage of the opportunities they had. Bears senior forward Camryn Wendlandt took an unsuccessful shot to the wide right of the Huskers goal after beating the Husker defense down the field. Nebraska sophomore midfielder Kenzie Coons shot soon after Wendlandt’s attempt but hit the crossbar. 

The Huskers came close to scoring again when freshman forward Marissa Popoola tried to rebound Coons’ shot, but missed the goal by just a few inches with 21:30 remaining in the second half. With under two minutes remaining in the second half and the game tied 1-1, a header attempt by the Bears went dribbling just wide left of the goal. As the game came down to the final seconds, the Huskers continued to play strong defense by stopping the Bears even as they crept deep into Nebraska territory. 

The teams headed into the first sudden death 10 minute overtime period tied 1-1. Baylor came out with a lot of offensive power getting into Husker territory, but senior goalkeeper Aubrei Corder was able to push them out of the box. After the game, Corder said her style of play comes from the work she puts in in practice. 

“I never do anything without reason, we practice that,” she said. “My first priority is to make sure the ball doesn’t go into the net in any way possible”. 

She was able to keep it as her priority as she kept the Bears scoreless during both overtimes. The Huskers finally caught a break with 6:28 to go during the first overtime. The Bears were called offsides after the ball went into the Huskers net, a goal that would have ended the game if the play had been legal.

The Huskers had some strong cross passes during the second overtime but were not able to shoot off them. Nebraska finished the game with a total of 10 corner kicks, keeping the pressure on the Bears. Baylor had a chance to win the game with their second of two corner kicks coming with 6:38 left in double overtime, but they were not able to score. The game eventually ended in a tie but was a hard fought game by both sides. The Huskers finished the game strong defensively and had a good showing offensively, ending with 13 total shots on goal.

Up next, the Huskers play away at Long Beach State Sept. 6, then finish off the road trip Sept. 8 with a matchup against USC.