Emily Cheramie prepares to shoot air rifle

Emily Cheramie prepares to shoot her air rifle during a match against North Carolina at the Military Naval Science Building on Saturday, Jan. 20, 2019, in Lincoln, Nebraska.

On Saturday, Oct. 5, the Husker rifle team began its 2019-20 season with a trip to Fort Wayne, Indiana, to compete against the Ohio State Buckeyes. The Akron Zips were also at The X Count Event, but the Huskers did not compete against them. Of the three teams’ 37 participants, the Huskers only had eight members competing.

Unlike last year when Nebraska fell to both teams in the event, the Huskers started their season off on a high note, beating the Buckeyes 4,651-4,635.

For the Huskers, senior Samantha Peterson (1,166) and sophomore Elena Flake (1,167) finished within the top five individually. Peterson finished third, while Flake tied for second. 

In smallbore, Flake led the charge for the Huskers with a career-high 578. Peterson was right behind her with a mark of 577, followed by junior Emily Cheramie with a 572. Sophomore Kinga Aletto rounded out the scoring with a 569. The Huskers totalled 2,296, five points shy of Ohio State and 13 points behind Akron in the event. Flake and Peterson finished in the top five for the event.

In air rifle, the Huskers earned a team score of 2,355, which was 21 points better than the Buckeyes and 13 points ahead of Akron. Freshman Macey Way had the top mark in the event, as she fired an impressive 590 in her first collegiate match. Flake and Peterson tied with a 589, and Cheramie and Aletto rounded out the team score with a mark of 587. 

Way also shot a 558 in smallbore, and Aletto shot a 587 in air rifle but neither score was included in the team score.

Other Huskers who competed were seniors Kayla Gadeken, Maddie Korthas and Bailey Powell. Gadeken fired a 559 in smallbore and a 571 in air rifle, while Korthas shot a 555 and 572 and Powell shot 571 and 589. 

The Huskers’ next competition will be at home on Oct. 12. They will host the West Virginia Mountaineers.