Sports Sig

Head coach Fred Hoiberg’s second season at the helm of Nebraska men’s basketball is beginning to take shape. 

The Huskers officially revealed all but one opponent of their 11-game non-conference schedule on Monday morning, with the lone unknown being a home game against an ACC opponent in the ACC/Big Ten Challenge.

"This non-conference schedule will help prepare us for Big Ten play," Hoiberg said in a press release. "The Myrtle Beach Tournament will give us an early measuring stick with a strong field and three games in a four-day stretch. We also have opportunities with games against Creighton, Kansas State and the ACC/Big Ten Challenge, as well as several regional opponents."

That preparation begins Nov. 10 as the Huskers open the season at home in a first-ever matchup with Cleveland State. The Vikings finished 11-21 last season and are led by second-year coach Dennis Gates, the brother of Nebraska assistant coach Armon Gates.

After a home contest with Purdue Fort Wayne on Nov. 14, the Huskers head to the Myrtle Beach Invitational for the peak of the non-conference schedule. The tournament runs Nov. 18-22 and, depending on how the bracket presents itself, could provide some high-profile matchups for Hoiberg’s squad.

Dayton and Utah State, both in the Myrtle Beach field, were locks for the NCAA Tournament had there been one last season. Loyola-Chicago could also be a potential foe for Nebraska after finishing second in the Missouri Valley Conference last season. Missouri, Pittsburgh, Charlotte and Penn round out the field of eight. 

Nebraska returns home for a Nov. 25 matchup with Lamar, the Huskers’ last matchup before the ACC/Big Ten Challenge. Like Cleveland State, Lamar will also be facing Nebraska for the first time.

The Huskers return to their non-conference slate on Dec. 12 after a pair of early-December conference games. Nebraska hosts Creighton, a team returning a good portion of a roster that won a share of last season’s Big East title. 

A week later, the Huskers travel to the Sprint Center in Kansas City, Missouri for a neutral-site contest with Kansas State. The Dec. 19 matchup is the first of a three-game series with the Wildcats. The two will play in Lincoln in 2021-22 and in Manhattan in 2022-23. 

Nebraska closes the non-conference schedule with home games against UMKC on Dec. 21 and Florida A&M on Dec. 29. The Big Ten schedule will be released later this summer. 

The Huskers’ first action of next season is a home exhibition against Peru State on Nov. 2.