s-weekendriflerecap

Junior Samantha Peterson aims at her target during the match against Kentucky on Saturday, Oct. 6, 2018, at the Nebraska Rifle Range in the Military and Naval Sciences Building in Lincoln, Nebraska.

Nebraska Athletic Director Bill Moos announced on Tuesday that Rachel Martin will be the Huskers’ new head rifle coach.

Martin, who was previously the assistant coach at the United States Military Academy at West Point, graduated from Nebraska in 2017.

“She understands and embraces the Nebraska culture,” Moos said in a press release. “As a recent student-athlete herself, she also has the ability to relate to her shooters. Rachel is a great fit to lead the Nebraska rifle program.”

Martin was lauded for her performance during her time as a collegiate rifle shooter, as he obtained the highest score in NU history.

During her tenure as assistant coach, West Point placed sixth in this year’s NCAA championship.

In an athletic department press release, Martin cited how UNL produces high-caliber athletes.

“It has always been my belief that the greatest of athletes not only excel in their sport, but dedicate their lives to positively impacting the world around them,” she said. “I can say from experience that the University of Nebraska invests in the development of such individuals, and I am honored to be a part of that.”

Martin is replacing Ashley McAllister, who will be departing Lincoln for Lubbock, Texas to live with her husband, who was hired as the chief of staff of Texas Tech’s men’s basketball team in August.