Nebraska vs. Wisconsin Photo No. 10

Nebraska head coach Tim Miles walks off the court at halftime of the match against Wisconsin at the United Center on Friday, March 15, 2019, in Chicago, Illinois.

The termination of head basketball coach Tim Miles was reported on Tuesday, following the team’s loss in the second round of the National Invitational Tournament.

Miles’ termination comes off the heels of a season-ending defeat at the hands of Texas Christian University, capping off a year which saw Nebraska’s initial NCAA Tournament hopes dashed by regular season struggles against Big Ten opponents and injuries to key players.

Since Miles’ hiring in 2012, Nebraska made one NCAA tournament appearance during the 2013-14 season, losing in the first round to Baylor.

“Tim Miles is a good basketball coach who has put his heart, soul and energy into the Nebraska men’s basketball program over the past seven years,” Athletic Director Bill Moos said in a statement. “Ultimately, we have not maintained a level of consistent success and stability on the court, and after a full review I have made the decision to move in another direction for the leadership of our program.”

Nebraska was 19-17 this season and went 6-14 against Big Ten teams. Miles’ overall record at Nebraska was 116-114, going 52-76 in Big Ten play.

“I am confident there will be strong interest from the coaching community about the opportunity to lead our men’s basketball program,” Moos said. “We are fully committed to providing the necessary resources to position our basketball program for success on the conference and national level. I expect to find a head coach who will elevate Nebraska basketball to new heights.”

This story was updated at 1:50 p.m. to include statements from both Miles and Moos. 

This is a developing story. Stay with The Daily Nebraskan for further updates.