s-bsbCreightonrecap_Opp

Nebraska pitcher, Kyle Perry, throws a pitch during the Cornhuskers' match against Creighton at Hawks Field on Tuesday, April 9, 2019, in Lincoln, Nebraska.

Head coach Darin Erstad and freshman first baseman Colby Gomes both used the phrase “humbling experience" to describe Nebraska's 10-2 loss to in-state rival Creighton Tuesday night.

That was about the only way to look at the defeat that snapped the Huskers’ perfect home record in front of 5,870 fans Tuesday night at Hawks Field.

The Bluejays wasted no time getting the bats going, as junior Isaac Collins ripped a ground ball up the middle to start the game. Freshman pitcher Kyle Perry retired the next two batters before Creighton’s Jake Holton smoked a pitch to left field for his ninth home run of the year to give the Bluejays a 2-0 lead.

Creighton would tack on three more runs in the third inning thanks to a Jack Strunc RBI-double and a Jordan Hovey sacrifice fly.

After scoring 39 runs in their last three games, it took the Huskers three innings to record a hit when junior first baseman Ty Roseberry singled, but Nebraska was not able to capitalize as junior Luke Roskam’s ground out ended the inning.

The Huskers were able to limit the Bluejays in the next two innings to give them a chance being only down six, but the bats couldn’t catch fire to cut the lead.

Creighton put on four more runs in the seventh inning to extend their lead to 10-0 to put the game out of reach.

Nebraska would respond with two runs of their own off a Gomes double and a groundout RBI by freshman third baseman Cam Chick in the bottom of the seventh inning, but it was too little too late for the Huskers.

Nebraska recorded just four hits on the night, two of which came from junior left fielder Mojo Hagge.

Perry was credited with the loss to drop him to 2-1 on the year. The freshman went 2.1 innings while allowing five earned runs on four hits.

Senior Denson Hull picked up his first win of the year, pitching two innings and not allowing a hit.

“It’s a humbling game isn’t it?,” Erstad said. “Bottom line is it is my job to have them ready to play. Tip your hat to Creighton. They have a good ballclub, and they came ready to play and smacked us in the mouth.”

“This is one of those games where you flush it and move on,” Gomes said. “That is not our team that you guys saw tonight. That’s not us. We just got to move on and play Penn State this weekend.”

Nebraska drops to 17-10 with the loss and will travel to University Park, Pennsylvania, to take on Penn State (17-11) this weekend. Friday’s matchup is set to begin at 6:30 p.m.