Nebraska Football vs. Ohio State Photo No. 14 (copy)

Jets fly over Memorial Stadium during the conclusion of the National Anthem before the Husker’s match against Ohio State on Saturday, Sept. 28, 2019, in Lincoln, Nebraska.

With Nebraska football coming off a bye week, the team is ready to begin the home stretch of the season. The Huskers are 4-3 and have five games left to go, with three of those games at home. Their next home game will be this Saturday against conference foe, Indiana, which is 5-2 on the year. 

This will be the 21st game between the two schools and only the second game between them since the Huskers joined the Big Ten in 2011. It has been three years since the two teams last clashed, a 27-22 Husker win in Bloomington, Indiana. The last time Indiana and Nebraska played each other prior to 2016, the original Star Wars was newly released and Nebraska head coach Scott Frost was three years old.

That matchup came in 1978, when the Huskers decimated the Hoosiers 69-17 in Bloomington. The previous year was the last time Indiana and Nebraska played against each other in Lincoln, and the Huskers won that game 31-13. Another surprising fact about this series is that Indiana has competed against the Huskers in Lincoln more times than any other team in the conference. Indiana and Nebraska have played 15 games in Memorial Stadium, yet Indiana hasn’t stepped foot in Memorial Stadium this century. So with over 40 years since the Hoosiers last visited Lincoln, and with the Huskers in their ninth year in the Big Ten, this will be a historic game. 

The first time these two teams played against each other was in 1936, a game that ended in a 13-9 victory for the Huskers. The teams then played every year up until 1947. Within that span, only three games were played in Bloomington. Indiana and Nebraska would then play each other three more times in the 1950s, but it wasn’t until 1975 that the annual series was reborn. However, it only lasted four years until 1978. It would then be 38 years before the Hoosiers and the Huskers met again, and 41 years before the teams met again in Lincoln. 

In the series, Indiana is currently ahead with a record of 9-8-3, however the Huskers are coming in with a five-game winning streak against the Hoosiers. Four of the wins came during the 1970s under former head coach Tom Osborne. 

With the Huskers fresh off a bye week, they are up to the task. This will also be Frost’s first game against Indiana as a head coach, but he sees it as just another game.

“I've said this a bunch, but there's a lot of good teams in this league,” Frost said. “You better be ready to show up every week or else you’ll be in trouble.”

This will also be the first game where the Husker will be wearing their brand new alternate Blackshirt jerseys. 

"We're going to wear the alternate jersey this week,” Frost said. “I told the team Monday if we're going to wear them, they'd better show up and play with an attitude that makes the Blackshirt alumni proud."

The game will start at 2:30 p.m. on Saturday and can be viewed on Big Ten Network.