Nebraska vs. Minnesota Photo No. 7

Head coach Mike Riley walks off the field at the end of the first half against Minnesota at the TCF Bank Stadium in Minneapolis, Minnesota on Saturday, Nov. 11, 2017.

University of Nebraska-Lincoln Director of Athletics Bill Moos announced Saturday that Nebraska football coach Mike Riley has been terminated, effective immediately. The decision came after the football team lost its final game of the season 56-14 to the University of Iowa on Black Friday.

Riley’s firing follows the end of his third year as head coach with a record of 4-8 and a Big Ten Conference record of 3-6. During his time at the helm of the program, he held an overall record of 19-19, translating to a record of 12-14 in the Big Ten.

University of Nebraska President Hank Bounds, Chancellor Ronnie Green and Moos met with Riley early Saturday morning to discuss the decision to make the change. A team and coaches meeting was also held at North Stadium to inform the staff and players.

In a statement from the athletic department announcing the termination, Moos said the department wants to pursue a higher level of competitiveness for the program.

“Mike Riley has brought tremendous professionalism and energy to the Nebraska football program, but unfortunately, those attributes have not translated to on-field success,” Moos said. “After a thorough review of all aspects of our football program, I have chosen to move in a different direction.”

According to the statement, Moos said the search for a new head coach to will begin immediately.

“I expect to find a leader for our football program that will put our student-athletes in a position to compete for championships and grow as young men. I am confident our next coach will meet that standard.”

Moos said Linebackers coach Trent Bray will serve as interim head coach for the program until a permanent one can be hired.

Moos will hold a press conference at 1 p.m. to discuss the firing and the search for a new coach.