Eichorst

Nebraska athletic director Shawn Eichorst watches a replay on the jumbotron at Memorial Stadium, Nov. 27, 2015. Eichorst was fired on Sept. 21, 2017 after being Nebraska's athletic director since 2012.

University of Nebraska-Lincoln Chancellor Ronnie Green announced via an email to athletics staff and student athletes on Thursday, Sept. 21 that, effective immediately, Shawn Eichorst is no longer the director of athletics for Nebraska.

Green wrote he has begun the search for a new athletic director and is, “making this move to increase competitiveness of our teams on the field.”

In a statement, Eichorst expressed gratitude for the time he spent as the Nebraska athletic director.

“While I am deeply disappointed in the decision today, I am grateful for the wonderful years that my family and I have spent at Nebraska,” Eichorst said. “I am proud of how our student-athletes, coaches and staff represented this great university and state, and I am confident that the future is bright for Nebraska Athletics.”

Eichorst took his position as director of Nebraska Athletics in October 2012, hired by the former chancellor, Harvey Perlman.

University of Nebraska President Hank Bounds and Green met with Eichorst Thursday to inform him of their decision to seek a new athletic director.

Bounds and Green also met with Nebraska coaches to inform them of Eichorst’s firing.

Green will hold a press conference at 2:30 p.m. in the Van Brunt Visitors Center to discuss the firing.

The university is expected to appoint an interim athletic director to oversee day-to-day operations while Green conducts the search for a new director to head up the athletic department.

Assistant Sports Editor