BSB Purdue Waldron Gomes
Matt Waldron (10) throws the baseball to Colby Gomes (34) in the game against Purdue at Haymarket Park on Friday, April 5, 2019, in Lincoln, Nebraska. 

Nebraska baseball put a beating on Purdue for the second-straight game, clinching the series win with a 13-4 victory.

A seven-run fifth inning, which included a three-run home run from freshman Cam Chick led the Huskers’ winning effort. Chick went 3-5 from the plate with four RBIs on the day. He also hit a home run in the first game of the series, the first of his career.

Junior Ty Roseberry also had his moment, hitting his first home run of the season in just his third plate appearance of the year. The hit was a big moment for Roseberry, who came to the Huskers this season after the University of Nebraska Kearney cut its baseball program in 2017.

Roseberry hasn’t played much this year, but he was ready for the moment.

“It’s all a mental game. Yeah it does suck, things in life suck,” Roseberry said about having to be prepared while not playing much. “[It’s] just being prepared, being ready to go when your number is called.”

The home run was also a happy moment for his teammates, who were excited to see Roseberry's hard work pay off.

“I was on deck, and I was going crazy,” junior Luke Roskam said. “I was really happy to see it.  The work he’s put in, I was really happy to see him actually get a ball out.”

The Boilermakers were sloppy throughout, committing four errors and throwing multiple costly wild pitches. However, junior outfielder Skyler Hunter played well, going 2-4 from the plate with two RBIs and making several big plays in the outfield.

Senior Nate Fisher started the game on the mound for Nebraska and quickly went to work. After walking the first batter, Fisher sat down three straight batters to end the inning.

The Huskers got things going quickly offensively as well. With two outs, Nebraska had runners on first and second base. Junior Luke Roskam then hit an RBI single that sent junior Joe Acker home for the first run of the day.

After a scoreless second inning for both teams, Purdue made a push. Sophomore Tyler Powers bunted to start the inning, but Chick committed an error attempting to pick up the ball that put Powers on base.

On the next at bat, freshman Evan Albrecht was hit by a pitch. Hunter followed up with a RBI triple to deep centerfield to put the Boilermakers up 2-1. Fisher then walked sophomore Charlie Nasuti, who advanced to second base after a bunt.

Purdue extended its lead before the inning ended as senior shortstop Angelo Altavilla was unable to control a line drive. The error sent Hunter in to score, extending the lead to 3-1.

In the bottom of the third, Purdue shut down Nebraska. Junior Mojo Hagge opened the inning by hitting a deep fly ball to center field, but Hunter made a leaping catch to get the out. The next two Nebraska batters grounded out as Purdue sophomore starting pitcher Andrew Bohm retired the side.

The Huskers made a pitching change to start the fourth inning and it paid off. Senior pitcher Mike Waldron came in for Fisher and retired the side, including one strikeout.

The Huskers began to find their rhythm in the bottom of the fourth inning. Altavilla was walked to lead off the inning, followed up by an RBI double to deep right field from Chick. However, the Purdue outfielder had trouble controlling the ball and Chick took an extra base off the error.

On the next at bat, Bohm threw a wild pitch and Chick ran home to tie the game at three runs apiece.

Purdue finished the inning strong, retiring the next three batters. Hunter made another athletic catch for the Boilermakers’ second out of the inning, diving to catch a deep fly ball from sophomore Jaxon Hallmark.

Waldron held Purdue scoreless once again in the top of the fifth, but things truly got out of hand in the latter half of the inning.

Sophomore Aaron Palensky was hit by a pitch to begin the inning. Hagge hit a ground ball to second base on the next at bat, setting up Purdue perfectly for a double play. However, the second baseman struggled to pick up the ball, allowing both Palensky and Hagge to advance.

The pair advanced again after a wild pitch, followed by a walk from sophomore Keegan Watson to load the bases. Roskam then came up to bat, looking for another RBI opportunity. Roskam got the hit, which led to Palensky scoring easily.

However, one run quickly turned into three. Hagge turned third with every intention of coming home, but Purdue junior catcher Zac Fascia was in perfect position to stop him. Fascia attempted the tag, but lost the ball after the contact. Hagge scored and Watson also was able to get in for another run. During the scramble, Roskam advanced to second base.

Nebraska continued to pile it on, as Altavilla hit a single followed up by a three-run home run by Chick. After Gomes hit a double on the next at bat with no outs, Purdue pulled Bohm in favor of freshman Austin Peterson.

Peterson struck out the next two batters, but Palensky hit an RBI single in his second plate appearance of the inning to send Gomes home and put Nebraska up 10-3. Hagge grounded out to end the inning.

The Boilermakers did their best to rally in the sixth, loading the bases and scoring a run. After that, Nebraska made another pitching change, this time putting in junior Robbie Palkert. Palkert retired the next two batters, keeping Purdue at distance.

Purdue failed to score another run in the game, while the Huskers put three more on the board.

Last game, Mike Waldron’s twin brother, senior pitcher Matt Waldron had a career-high nine strikeouts. This time, Mike Waldron came up big, allowing just one run and getting his first win of the season (1-0).

After giving up 10 runs, Bohm fell took his fourth pitching loss of the year for Purdue. Bohm (0-4) is yet to have a win on the season.

Purdue wasn’t the only team to have a shaky day, as Nebraska had three errors of its own. However, the Huskers were able to stay strong and keep playing well.

“It was one of those weird college baseball games, where you try and make less mistakes then they do,” head coach Darin Erstad said. “You just gotta keep fighting and playing, and we’ll find a way.”

Although they have already took the win in the series, the Huskers (16-9) will look to keep fighting and complete the sweep in the final game of the series tomorrow.

Tomorrow’s game is set to begin at 12:05 p.m. at Haymarket Park. The game will also be broadcast on ESPNU.