Nebraska baseball

The Nebraska baseball team (19-11-1) is 14-3-1 in its last 18 games, and will look to continue its hot streak on April 11, as the team travels to Manhattan, Kansas, to take on Kansas State (16-15) for the second time this year.

In the first matchup between the Huskers and Wildcats, Nebraska used a six-run first inning to storm past K-State to an 11-1 victory at Haymarket Park in Lincoln. In the win, the Huskers showcased a well-balanced attack, using 14 different batters and four relief pitchers that followed a scoreless three-inning start from sophomore Matt Waldron.

Since the teams last met, K-State has dropped five of its last six, while Nebraska is 7-1-1, including a series victory this weekend over No. 24 Maryland.

This past weekend, the Huskers were led by senior Ben Miller, who finished 10-13 from the plate this weekend, including two four-hit games. Miller is now leading the Big Ten in conference play batting average with an average of .556.

The Husker offense is also fueled by sophomore Angelo Altavilla, who leads the team with a .314 batting average and is second on the team in RBIs (20), and junior Scott Schreiber who bats .306 with a team-high of three home runs and 24 RBIs.

On the mound, Nebraska is led by junior Jake Hohensee who leads the team in strikeouts (28) and ERA (2.14) in his seven starts (4-2). In Jake Meyers’ seven starts, the junior is 5-1 with a 2.25 ERA, allowing only seven walks in a team-high of 44 innings pitched.

This past weekend, Meyers pitched 7.1 innings and allowed three earned runs in Nebraska’s series-clinching win on April 9, while Hohensee allowed just one earned run in 8.1 innings pitched and struck out eight batters.

The freshman duo of Will Brennan and Cameron Thompson leads the K-State offense in batting average, hitting .356 and .346, respectively. And while the two freshman lead the team in batting average and on-base percentage, the Wildcats’ power offense comes from the senior duo of Jake Scudder and Quintin Crandall, who have both tallied a team-high of six home runs apiece. Scudder also leads the team in RBIs (31), slugging percentage (.487) and extra-base hits (14).

On the mound, junior Justin Heskett and senior Parker Rigler have both started eight games for the Wildcats, with Heskett posting a 3-2 record with a 2.66 ERA and Rigler going 2-3 with a 2.70 ERA. And in relief, senior Nick Jones has earned a 4-0 record in 20 appearances.

Nebraska comes into the April 11 game with a 6-2-1 record in true road games, while K-State is 9-7 when trying to protect its home field.