s-baseballrecruiting

The Nebraska baseball team celebrates a win over Cal Poly at Hawks Field on March 10, 2018, in Lincoln, Nebraska.

After failing to make the Big Ten Tournament a year ago, Nebraska baseball looks to be in a stronger position for the 2019 season after securing the nation’s 16th-best recruiting class.

D1baseball released its top-25 recruiting class on Monday and ranked Nebraska as the top-Big Ten team. The Huskers are surrounded in the rankings by national baseball powerhouses such as Cal State Fullerton, Texas Tech and Virginia  and are the highest-ranked team not to have made the College World Series in the last 10 years. Nebraska is also ranked six spots ahead of the next-closest Big Ten team, Illinois, who is ranked at No. 22.

Nebraska’s recruiting class features 15 new players, with 11 coming in as freshmen.

Four of the newcomers will come to Nebraska with college experience, including a transfer from the now-defunct University of Nebraska at Kearney baseball program. Ty Roseberry joins the Huskers after spending two seasons with the Lopers, while Aaron Palenksy, Trey Kissack and Gareth Stroh all join the team from the community college level.

Two freshmen in Nebraska’s recruiting class were chosen during the MLB Draft in June but opted to attend college anyway. Spencer Schwellenbach, an infielder and right-handed pitcher from Michigan, was drafted by the Cleveland Indians in the 34th round and Bo Blessie, a fellow right-handed pitcher, was picked in the 36th round by the Washington Nationals.

Five of the other freshmen are in-state recruits from Nebraska, in addition to three recruits from Missouri and one from California.

Nebraska baseball will continue its preseason preparation on Saturday, Oct. 6, when it faces off against the Kansas Jayhawks in an exhibition match.