Nebraska baseball prepares to face off against Northern Colorado

• Josh Kelly
  • 0

Fresh off of their first sweep of the season, the Nebraska baseball team is set to a host a pair of games in a mid-week matchup against Northern Colorado.

So far this season, the Huskers are 8-5 on the season while Northern Colorado is coming in with a 4-12 record after splitting a four game series with North Dakota State during the weekend.

Nebraska defeated St. John’s during the weekend, winning all three of its matchups against the visitors. The weekend was capped off with 14-7 win, giving the offense 33 runs between the three games.

For coach Darin Erstad, the series finale was textbook in terms of the team’s mindset with a sweep on the line.

“Being relentless every inning,” Erstad said. “Scoring the first six innings in a row, that’s how you draw it up.”

The series against the Bears will mark the second home series of season for Nebraska, and Erstad said the biggest concern that comes with playing at home is the off the field distractions that his players will have.

“Playing at home, sleeping in your own bed, not being in a hotel room, being around your girlfriend and having to go to your tutor, there’s just so many more distractions in town,” Erstad said. “The daily routine is what I’m more concerned about. The playing part is the easy part for them.”

Earning more playing time and expected to play against Northern Colorado is sophomore catcher Taylor Fish, who produced his first multi-hit game of the season against St. John’s on Sunday.

He also delivered a walk-off single on Saturday, which he said is not a pressure situation. Instead, he has been looking at every moment as a chance to get more playing time.

“It just makes me more motivated actually,” Fish said. “You do well in one opportunity and then you get another one. My goal right now is to make the most of my opportunity and help my team.”

More than 3,700 people attended the game on Sunday, and for the players, it’s not necessarily a boost for performance. It’s positive reinforcement when they take the field, which was something that was lacked on the road.

“Playing at home is great,” Fish said. “They’re behind us, so you’re rooting to play for your teammates and the crowd.”

The first of two games begins at 1:35 p.m. on Tuesday at Hawks Field and the weather looks unfavorable compared with Sunday’s mid-70s temperature. The forecast calls for mid-40s with a chance of rain.

Expected to make the start on the mound for the Huskers is junior Aaron Bummer. Bummer 1-2 through three outings, losing to No. 4 Oregon State and The Citadel.

The left-hander will be up against a team that has had its troubles on the road, having a 0-9 record as the away team.

Helping out Bummer will be the offense, who has tallied 10 triples so far this season, almost reaching last season’s mark of 13 triples.

A three-game sweep is great for any team. But to have that level of play in every meeting is another thing.

“It’s good for the team, getting to where we need to go as a team,” junior pitcher Chance Sinclair. “We dropped a few games early on, and I like how we can play at home now.”

Sports@dailynebraskan.com

(0) comments

PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.

We're always interested in hearing about news in our community. Let us know what's going on!

Useful Links

Newsletters