s-baseballredwhiterecap

The Nebraska baseball team competes in the Red/White scrimmage at Hawks Field in Haymarket Park on Friday, Oct. 19, 2018, in Lincoln, Nebraska.

The Nebraska baseball team took the field for the first time on Friday since its Oct. 6 scrimmage against Kansas, kicking off the Red-White Series.

Two games in the three-part series have been completed, and the third will take place on Friday Oct. 26.

The Huskers are looking to improve on their 24-28 record from last season. The fall scrimmages give fans a glimpse of what to expect from this year’s squad.

The Red team shut out the White team on Friday evening, allowing one hit through six innings in a 3-0 win. Sophomore right-handed pitcher Max Schreiber started the game, with Ethan Frazier, Tyler Martin, Caleb Feekin and Trey Kissack also pitching in the shutout. For the White team, Purdue transfer Gareth Stroh started the game, while Kyle Perry and Paul Tillotson filled in later.

The game started slow offensively. Luke Roskam’s first-inning single for the Red team was the game’s only hit through the first three innings, but that all changed with Spencer Schwellenbach’s solo home run in the fourth inning. The Red team went on to score another run in both the fifth and sixth innings and ended with a total of five hits. The White team’s lone hit came with a single by Keegan Watson in the bottom of the fifth.

The second game took place on Saturday and was less one-sided. The Red team held a 1-0 lead for the first three innings, as Ty Roseberry hit a double in the second and later scored on a sacrifice fly. The White team bounced back and tied up the game with an RBI from Angelo Altavilla in the fourth inning. Later in the inning, Altavilla scored on an error from the Red team to take the lead.

The 2-1 score didn’t change for the rest of the game, and the White team got the win despite being outhit 3-2 in six innings.

Both Nebraska coaches and players will look at what they can improve upon from these games and the upcoming Friday scrimmage before they officially open their season on February 15, when they travel to UC Riverside.