Angelo Altavilla

Angelo Altavilla (7) prepares to tag out an Airforce base runner at Hawks Field on Wednesday, March 20, 2019, in Lincoln, Nebraska.

Nebraska head coach Darin Erstad doesn’t like the notion of a team wanting to get up for a rivalry game more than any other game.

“If we have to look for reasons to get up for a game, we got problems,” Erstad said. “If that is the case that I can’t get our team ready every single day, I’m just going to take my ball and go home.”

Nebraska (21-11, 10-2 Big Ten) looks to keep its first place spot in the Big Ten standings this weekend in Iowa City against the Iowa Hawkeyes (21-14, 7-5).

Iowa has won three straight Big Ten series and three of its last four games, including an 8-6 win over Northern Illinois on Tuesday.

Nebraska bounced back from a 5-0 loss to Kansas State on Tuesday with an 8-5 win over the University of Nebraska Omaha on Wednesday. Nebraska’s two conference losses both came to Minnesota on walk-offs.

Pitching on Friday will be senior Matt Waldron (5-0) for Nebraska and senior Cole McDonald (3-3) for Iowa.

In his last two appearances, Waldron has gone seven innings each game and has given up just two earned runs.

McDonald had a strong last outing, allowing just one run on four hits last week against Purdue.

Sophomore Cam Baumann (2-2) and junior Grant Judkins (4-3) will be pitching for the Hawkeyes on Saturday and Sunday, respectively, while seniors Nate Fisher (4-1) and Reece Eddins (3-2) will be on the mound for the Huskers.

At the plate, the Hawkeyes are led by senior Tanner Wetrich who has hit .426 in his last nine starts and has homered twice in the last three games.

Nebraska is led by sophomore Aaron Palensky, who has recorded a hit in 28 out of 32 games this year, including a crucial RBI single Wednesday night against UNO.

Friday’s matchup begins at 6:05 p.m. with Saturday’s beginning at 2:05 p.m. and Sunday’s  starting at 12:05 p.m.