Creighton Nebraska baseball

After losing its first series of the year, the Nebraska baseball team (21-13-1) will take a break in conference play and travel to TD Ameritrade Park on April 18 to take on in-state foe, the Creighton Bluejays (14-16).

This will be the second time the Huskers and Bluejays face off this season, with NU taking the first game 14-6. Since the first matchup, Nebraska is 5-3, while Creighton is 6-1.

The April 18 game against the Bluejays starts a four-game road trip, which is the first half of an eight-game stretch where the Huskers play on the road seven times. However, the road trip might not be the worst thing for the Huskers, as Nebraska holds a 7-2-1 record on the road this season.

The Huskers will take the second-best ERA in the Big Ten (3.37) to Omaha, looking to get another strong performance from their pitching staff. Jake Meyers, Jake Hohensee and Derek Burkamper have all started eight games, with Meyers leading the unit with a team-best 5-1 record and 2.54 ERA. Hohensee is the only other starting pitcher below the team average in ERA, with an average of 3.06. Against one of the Huskers’ strongest units, opposing batters are hitting .249, which is the third-lowest in the Big Ten.

At the plate, Luis Alvarado leads NU with a .319 batting average, with Scott Schreiber right behind him at .316. Schreiber also leads the team in RBIs (27), slugging percentage (.444) and is tied with Ben Miller for a team-high of three home runs. Schreiber and Alvarado combined for five hits in Nebraska’s 8-6 series finale win over Iowa.

The Bluejays, who are coming into April 18 with a season-high, six-game winning streak, are led offensively by Michael Emodi, who has posted a team-high in home runs (6), RBIs (27) and slugging percentage (.491). Bryce Only is also coming off a huge performance, in which the senior tallied four hits for five RBIs in a wild 11-9 comeback victory against Georgetown.

Jeff Albrecht leads the Bluejays on the mound with a team-high 10 starts, and in those 10 starts, Albrecht posted a 5-3 record with a 2.73 ERA. Rollie Lacy and Keith Rogalla have also started nine and eight games, respectively. This season, Lacy has earned a 3-2 record with a 3.67 ERA, while Rogalla earned a 2-2 record with a 3.86 ERA. The CU pitching staff has an average ERA of 4.04 with batters hitting .281 against them.

In the first meeting against NU, Creighton used a pitch-by-committee approach, using seven different pitchers, which allowed eight earned runs. Albrecht got the start and allowed just one hit against the five batters he faced before the Huskers scored 10 second-inning runs to propel Nebraska to victory.

While Creighton will look to avoid another one-inning catastrophe, Nebraska will look to improve its solid road record when they travel to TD Ameritrade.