Sports Sig

Nebraska baseball (6-6) won 2-0 against Baylor (9-4) on Saturday thanks in part to a pitching showcase by senior Nate Fisher, which giving it the series win on the Bears.

A contrast of yesterday’s 12-4 win over Baylor, both offenses struggled getting on base throughout the game. The low-scoring affair happened through the pitcher’s duel between Nebraska’s Fisher and Baylor’s Paul Dickens.

Fisher threw 84 pitches through eight innings and had all of Nebraska’s six strikeouts. Dickens had seven strikeouts after five innings and gave up one run.

For Nebraska, only four batters had hits with freshman Colby Gomes and sophomore Gunner Hellstrom combining for five of those eight hits. Junior Joe Acker and freshman Spencer Schwellenbach earned the other three hits.

Though Dickens had a strong day on the mound, he gave up what was the game winning run in the top of the fourth inning. After a pop out from sophomore Aaron Pelinsky, Gomes reached first base on his second hit of the game.

In the second inning, Hellstrom hit a single with Gomes on first but he ran to third, instead of stopping at second and got out at third base. Now in the fourth, Hellstrom hit another single but Gomes got to third base from first base safely. Junior Luke Roskam followed up with a sacrifice fly ball, which brought Gomes home and gave Nebraska a 1-0 lead.

Baylor got out of the fourth inning, but the Bears continued to struggle finding contact on offense. Through five innings, Baylor failed to put any batters on base, but Dickens seven strikeouts kept Nebraska at bay.

At the top of the sixth inning, sophomore Daniel Caruso replaced Dickens afterthrowing 83 pitches through five innings. After Caruso retired the side, Baylor’s offense took a step forward. The Bears broke up Fisher’s perfect-game bid with a Josh Bissonette walk followed by a Schwellenbach error.

The Huskers closed the inning despite allowing two runners on base thanks to a flyball and ground-out.

Nebraska’s best chance to add insurance runs came in the seventh inning as the Huskers had the bases loaded with one out. However,  sophomore Jaxon Hallmark struck out and Schwellenbach grounded out, ending the inning.

With Nebraska up 1-0 in the ninth inning, the Huskers’ much-needed insurance run came to fruition despite falling into a quick two-out hole. Acker reached first base on a throwing error and then Hallmark was walked. Now in scoring position, Schwellenbach redeemed himself with a single to center field and allowed Acker to score from second.

Now up 2-0 in the final half-inning, Nebraska’s Fisher was three outs from a no-hitter.  However, his first pitch hit Richard Cunningham. Following the hit, Fisher was pulled after for junior Robbie Palker.

Baylor’s Nick Loftin was next up and hit directly to Schwellenbach, forcing a double play. With one out left in the game, Palkert gave up a single to Davis Wendzel, giving Baylor its first hit of the game.

After that hit, Palker was pulled for Gomes, who went 2-for-4 at the plate. On a 2-0 count, Baylor’s Davion Downey hit off Gomes into right field but outfielder Pelinsky caught it near the warning track, sealing a series win against Baylor.

Nebraska finishes the series against Baylor on Sunday at 12:05 p.m. After that, Nebraska is scheduled to host its first home game on March 15 against New Mexico State.