4/1 Practice Notes

Coach Troy Walters talks with media following football practice on Monday, April 1, 2019, at the Hawks Championship Center in Lincoln, Nebraska.

Following Monday’s practice, offensive coordinator Troy Walters and several offensive players spoke with the media at the Hawks Championship Center about the progress they’ve made after two weeks of practice..

Walters said the team is up to speed on the playbook after two weeks of practices, shifting the coaches’ focus toward precision and details.

“Now, it’s the point of spring where it’s hump day,” Walters said. “You’re halfway through, guys can get in a lull and feel sorry for themselves. We can’t have that.”

Walters said his offense was “just okay” on Monday, but credited the defense for practicing well.

“They’re making us work,” he said. “They’re pretty consistent. They’re bringing it every day [with] a lot of energy and a lot of excitement. If we don’t bring our A-game, they’re embarrassing us.”

After being mentioned frequently last week for his impressive work in practice, Walters said redshirt freshman running back Brody Belt had another good practice on Monday.

“He’s doing an awesome job, not only as a running back but also as a wide receiver,” Walters said about Belt. “He’s kind of in that Wan’Dale [Robinson] or Miles [Jones] position...he’s a weapon on the perimeter. If we get him matched up against linebackers, he’s going to win that most of the time.”

Elsewhere in the lobby, redshirt freshman Andre Hunt spoke with reporters about the new-look wide receivers room. The Huskers are trying to replace senior Stanley Morgan Jr., who finished last season with over 1,000 receiving yards.

“We’ve been more quiet this year,” Hunt said about his position group. “J.D. has not been talking as much, I think that’s a good thing. [We’re] staying quiet and showing them our thing.”

“He [Hunt] matured a lot,” Walters added. “He’s learned the playbook, he’s another guy that can run. He’s getting better, but his mental toughness, last year, was lackadaisical at times but now he’s with the ones and has to be on it every rep.”