Barry Brief photo

Mohamed Barry (7) enters the field before the Husker’s match against Ohio State at Memorial Stadium on Saturday, Sept. 28, 2019, in Lincoln, Nebraska.

Nebraska senior linebacker Mohamed Barry was announced as one of six finalists for the Pop Warner National College Football Award on Tuesday afternoon. 

The award recognizes a graduating senior who has made an impact on the field, in the classroom and in his community. 

Along with Barry, the finalists are USC wide receiver Michael Pittman Jr., Wake Forest running back Cade Carney, Penn State punter Blake Gillikin, Kansas safety Bryce Torneden and Auburn defensive tackle Derrick Brown. 

Barry is one of two senior captains for the Huskers, and he currently leads the team in tackles. As a junior, he led the team with 112 tackles, earning third-team All-Big Ten honors. Through 10 games this year, he has 81 tackles and one sack. 

In his most recent game against Wisconsin, he tied his career-high of 12 tackles.

After coming to Nebraska from Grayson, Georgia, Barry redshirted the 2015 season and played in all 13 games of the 2016 season. He has started every game in the past two seasons.

Off the field, Barry has earned Academic All-Big Ten honors in each of the past three seasons, and has been a member of the Brook Berringer Citizenship Team and the Tom Osborne Citizenship team every year. He also volunteered with Husker Heroes, the Nebraska Football Road Race, the UNL Children’s Center and hospital and school outreach visits. 

Barry graduated in May 2019 with a degree in ethnic studies. He is currently a graduate student with a major in communication studies.

The Pop Warner College Football Award winner will be announced on Saturday, December 14th at Walt Disney World’s ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex in Orlando.