Kevin Cross

Kevin Cross (1) goes for a layup during a game against Indiana at Pinnacle Bank Arena on Saturday, Jan. 18, 2020, in Lincoln, Nebraska.

With the last full week of January in the books, it was a jam-packed time for Nebraska Athletics with 15 competitions spanning over the course of six days. The Daily Nebraskan Freshman Athlete of the Week is men’s basketball forward Kevin Cross. 

The men’s basketball team played two conference games this week against Wisconsin and Rutgers, losing both. Cross, after both games, had a combined 21 points, seven rebounds, four assists and three steals. Against the Badgers, Cross was the second-leading scorer in the game with 17 points. The last time Cross neared the 20-point mark was in the second game of the season against Southern Utah when he scored 19. 

Against Wisconsin, Cross also led the Huskers in steals with three and had two rebounds. In the game against Rutgers, Cross only scored four points, but he was the team’s second-leading rebounder with five and had three assists. This season, Cross is the only player to play in every game and not start, but he’s fifth on the team in points with 147. 

The first honorable mention is women’s basketball forward Isabelle Bourne. This week, the women’s team also had two conference games. They suffered a tough loss to Purdue but defeated Wisconsin. Bourne finished the week with 15 points, nine rebounds, two blocks and a steal. In the loss to Purdue, Bourne had seven points, four rebounds and grabbed a steal. Bourne also surpassed 100 total points this season in the game. Against Wisconsin, Bourne totaled eight points and five rebounds. She is now just three shy of 100 rebounds on the season. Bourne is also one of two players on the team to play in every game but not start a single one. Even so, Bourne is second on the team in rebounds, averaging nearly five per game. 

The second honorable mention is 133-pound wrestler Ridge Lovett. Over the weekend, the wrestling team competed against No. 2 Penn State along with fellow conference opponent Michigan State. The team went 1-1, falling to Penn State in a nail-biting battle before taking down Michigan State on Sunday. Lovett also went 1-1 across the two meets. Lovett was the second match of the Penn State dual and lost in a major decision, which would end up being a key loss of the meet as Nebraska lost 20-18. In the Michigan State meet, Lovett was the second-to-last match, but he was the deciding match. With the team ahead 16-12, Lovett needed a win to secure the victory, and he did with a 5-0 decision, earning his first Big Ten win of the season and putting his record up to 8-5.