Kevin Cross basketball

With the month of November concluded, the past week was another quiet one for the freshmen in Husker sports. With eight events that freshmen participated in throughout the week, The Daily Nebraskan’s Freshman Athlete of the Week goes to Nebraska men’s basketball forward Kevin Cross. 

To start the week, Nebraska basketball traveled to compete in the Cayman Islands Classic. Through the three days of the tournament, freshman forward Kevin Cross racked up 25 points, 14 rebounds, five 3-pointers, three blocks and three assists in three games. 

On Monday, Cross started the three-day tournament off hot, dropping 14 points, eight rebounds, two blocks and an assist in the team’s win over Washington State. Cross also made two 3-pointers that game. On day two, Cross finished with 11 points, five rebounds, three 3-pointers, a block and an assist in the Huskers’ loss to George Mason. On the final day, Cross didn’t score any points against Southern Florida, but he did have a rebound and an assist in the win. 

This is Cross’ second time winning DN freshman athlete of the week and through the first seven games of the season, he has become a key part of the team. Though Cross has yet to start a game, the 6-foot-8 forward is averaging just over nine points per game, which makes him the fifth-highest scorer on the team. Cross has also made the third most 3-pointers on the team with eight. 

The first honorable mention is volleyball outside hitter Madi Kubik. The volleyball team wrapped up its regular season with back-to-back three-set sweeps of Maryland and Ohio State over the weekend. Kubik contributed to the team’s success with 16 kills, 16 digs, two assists and a service ace in both games. Kubik finished the month with 117 kills, adding to her now 289 kills on the season. Kubik finished the regular season with the second-most kills behind junior Lexi Sun, which shows how big of an impact the outside hitter has had on the team. With the NCAA women’s volleyball tournament just around the corner, Kubik will be a key factor in the team’s run for the 2019 title. 

The second honorable mention is women’s basketball forward Isabelle Bourne. With the women’s basketball team coming off their first loss of the season this past Sunday, the team came into the South Point Shootout with one goal in mind. Prior to the two-day tournament, Bourne came into the game with 26 points, 24 rebounds and two assists through the first six games of the season. Bourne came out of tournament scoring 12 points, 11 rebounds and four assists in the two games. Bourne has played in every game so far this season, but has been quiet when it comes to putting points on the board. After this weekend, however, it seems that the 6-foot-2 forward might be starting to find her footing. With the team one month into the season things could start to click for Bourne, which will be a benefit for the team.