1997 husker team

Members of the 1997 Huskers team walk out of the tunnel at Memorial Stadium before the game against Wisconsin on Saturday, Oct. 8, 2017, in Lincoln, Nebraska

Saturday night at Memorial Stadium, 140 of the 156 athletes from the 1997 championship football team reunited to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the Huskers’ national title. The team was honored on the field during the Huskers’ matchup against the Wisconsin Badgers.  

The returning members of the ’97 team joined current Huskers in their pregame traditions. After fans got a look at the tunnel walk introduction video from the 1997 season, the championship team participated in its own tunnel walk prior to the current team’s walk.

Grant Wistrom, the All-American defensive end who played for the Huskers from 1994 to 1997 led the team in its pregame locker room prayer. He was a key player for the Huskers during their three championships in 1994, 1995 and 1997.

Several members of the 1997 team were honored on the field in the first half of the game.

To honor the 20-year reunion the 1997 team, the current Huskers wore adidas “Husker ’97” throwback red jerseys with white mesh numbers, and white pants with no stripes and a classic red “N” on the sides.

The 1997 team was the last to be coached by Tom Osborne and the last Nebraska football team to win a national title. Defensive coordinator Charlie McBride and defensive backs coach George Darlington were in attendance as well.