Sports Sig

Just over three hours after after announcing the departure of offensive coordinator and wide receivers coach Troy Walters, head coach Scott Frost has filled the vacancy.

Matt Lubick was officially announced as the program’s new offensive coordinator and wide receivers coach on Friday night, pending the completion of a university background check.

“Matt Lubick is a great addition to our coaching staff,” Frost said in the official release. “I have always wanted to work with Matt again since our days at Oregon together. He is the only person I considered for this position.”

Lubick most recently served in the same position at the Washington from 2017-18. He and Frost had previously crossed paths at Oregon, where he was the passing game coordinator and receivers coach from 2013-15 during Frost’s tenure as offensive coordinator.

Lubick succeeded Frost as Oregon’s offensive coordinator for the 2016 season, but was not retained by the new staff after head coach Mark Helfrich was fired.

“I am humbled to have the opportunity to be part of Nebraska Football,” Lubick said in the release. “Growing up I was in awe of Tom Osborne and Bob Devaney’s unmatched run of success. It is a special situation for me to be reunited with an elite staff and Coach Frost who is the best in the business. The University of Nebraska is a world-class institution with the best fanbase in college football.”

Lubick has been coaching in college football since 1995, starting as a graduate assistant under his father at Colorado State. After one season, he was hired as the defensive backs coach at Cal State Northridge. One year later, he left to be the wide receivers coach at San Jose State.

After two years on the job Lubick returned to coaching defensive backs, this time at Oregon State under Dennis Erickson. That stint also lasted two seasons before he returned to Colorado State, where he coached wide receivers for his father from 2001-04.

In 2005, Lubick was hired away by Ed Orgeron to coach wide receivers at Ole Miss. After two seasons, Erickson hired away Lubick to his new job at Arizona State to coach defensive backs again.

Three years into his time at Arizona State he returned to coaching receivers, this time for David Cutcliffe at Duke. In 2012, his last year at Duke, Lubick received the wide receivers coach of the year award.

Lubick was hired by Helfrich to replace Frost, who was promoted to offensive coordinator in 2013.

“Matt has an innovate offensive mind, provides a veteran presence on our staff and brings a proven track record of success at the Power Five level,” Frost said about Lubick.  “Matt and I developed a great relationship working together previously, and I look forward to adding his expertise to our offensive staff.”

Lubick has been a part of six staffs that have won conference titles, and reached the inaugural College Football Playoff Championship game with Oregon in 2014.

In his time at Washington, the Huskies won the 2018 Pac-12 Championship and played in the Rose Bowl against Ohio State.

Following the Rose Bowl, Lubick left coaching altogether to work for Canvas Credit Union as the director of university relations with Colorado State. According to the Omaha World-Herald, he also did consulting work for Nebraska this past season.

Lubick inherits an offense that was inconsistent in 2019, averaging 28 points per game and was held to one touchdown in three different games. Nebraska’s wide receivers finished the 5-7 season with 1,842 receiving yards, a regression from the 2,148 yards the group had in 2018.

Lubick also inherits a wide receiver room led by senior standout JD Spielman (2,546 receiving yards, 15 touchdowns) and sophomore Wan’Dale Robinson (793 yards, five touchdowns). Frost also signed five wide receivers in the early signing period.