900 wins

On Sept. 21, the Nebraska football team earned its 900th win in program history with a 42-38 win at Illinois. The Huskers are the fifth FBS program to reach that mark, joining Michigan, Ohio State, Texas and Alabama. With win No. 900 in the books, it’s time to take a look back at some memorable and milestone victories from the program’s first 899 wins. 

Win No. 1: Nebraska 10, Omaha YMCA 0 (1890)

The Huskers played two games in 1890, their inaugural season, and won both. The first was a 10-0 victory in Omaha over Omaha YMCA on Nov. 27. The Huskers also beat Doane 18-0 in Crete on Dec. 14. 

Win No. 100: Nebraska 63, Denver 0 (1907)

In 1907, the Huskers won six of their first seven games under first-year coach W.C. “King” Cole heading into a road game against Denver on Nov. 16. NU overpowered Denver 63-0 to earn the program’s 100th win. The team went on to beat Doane 85-0 in Lincoln the following week before losing 34-0 at St. Louis to end the season. 

Win No. 200: Nebraska 12, Oklahoma 0 (1925)

The 1925 Huskers carried a 2-1-1 record into their showdown against the Oklahoma Sooners on Oct. 31. The contest was the seventh in the series, and the Huskers picked up their fifth win against the Sooners and 200th victory overall in a 12-0 win. 

Win No. 368: Nebraska 25, Michigan 13 (1962)

After struggling throughout the 1940s and 50s and posting consecutive losing seasons to start the 60s, the Huskers needed a spark. They entered the 1962 season with a new coach — Bob Devaney, who previously posted a 35-10-5 record in five seasons at Wyoming. 

After opening the Devaney era with a 53-0 win against South Dakota, the Huskers traveled to Ann Arbor for a Sept. 29 clash at Michigan. NU emerged with a 25-13 upset, breaking open a 7-6 game at the half with two third-quarter touchdowns. 

The Huskers went on to finish 9-2 in Devaney’s first season at the helm, beating Miami 36-34 in the Gotham Bowl for the program’s first bowl win in three tries. 

Win No. 455: Nebraska 17, LSU 12 (1971)

The Huskers’ 455th win in program history came on the first day of 1971. Facing LSU in the Orange Bowl, the Huskers jumped out to an early 10-0 lead in the first frame. LSU rallied back, scoring the game’s next 12 points to take a 12-10 lead into the fourth quarter. 

With 8:50 left in the game, quarterback Jerry Tagge scored from one yard out, giving the Huskers a 17-12 lead they would not relinquish. 

The win gave NU an 11-0-1 record and more importantly, the first of five national championships. 

Win No. 500: Nebraska 51, Kansas State 0 (1976)

On Oct. 16, 1976, the Huskers welcomed the Kansas State Wildcats to town on homecoming weekend seeking the 500th win in program history. 

NU’s run defense was stout, holding Kansas State to -45 yards on 39 carries. The Blackshirts also forced six fumbles, recovering five of them. That was more than enough cushion for the offense, which was powered by 173 yards and four touchdowns from quarterback Vince Ferragamo, as the Huskers cruised to a 51-0 win. 

Win No. 600: Nebraska 48, Missouri 17 (1986)

NU trailed Missouri 3-0 after the first quarter in the teams’ Oct. 18 matchup. However, that quickly changed as the Huskers scored 20 points in the second quarter and 21 more in the third en route to a commanding 48-17 win. 

The ground game powered NU’s offensive attack as it compiled 414 rushing yards, including 127 yards and two scores on just eight carries from Tyreese Knox. 

The Huskers finished the year 10-2, beating fifth-ranked LSU in the Sugar Bowl. 

Win No. 686: Nebraska 24, Miami 17 (1994)

As the calendar flipped to 1995, the Huskers faced the Miami Hurricanes in the 1994 Orange Bowl seeking coach Tom Osborne’s first national championship. Miami jumped out to a 10-0 lead in the first quarter, but the Huskers answered with a touchdown pass from quarterback Brook Berringer. 

Trailing 17-9 with a little over seven-and-a-half minutes left, fullback Cory Schlesinger broke loose for a 15-yard touchdown as the Huskers tied the game with the ensuing two-point conversion.

With just under three minutes left, Schlesinger barreled through the Miami defense for another score, this time from 14 yards out, to put Nebraska up for good and win Osborne’s first national title. 

Win No. 698: Nebraska 62, Florida 24 (1995)

NU faced an opportunity to win consecutive national titles for the second time in program history in the 1995 Fiesta Bowl against Florida. Unlike the Orange Bowl the previous season, this game was much less dramatic. 

Trailing 10-6 after one quarter, the Huskers buried the Gators in the second quarter as they scored 29 unanswered points. NU scored twice in the third quarter, including a 75-yard jaunt by quarterback Tommie Frazier, and added two more scores in the fourth en route to a 62-24 shellacking. 

NU rolled to 524 rushing yards and 629 total yards while holding the “Fun ‘n’ Gun” Florida offense to 269 yards, including -28 yards on the ground. 

Win No. 800: Nebraska 21, Kansas State 3 (2006)

On Oct. 14, 2006, the Huskers traveled to Manhattan, Kansas, for a Big 12 clash against the Kansas State Wildcats. NU opened the scoring when holder Jake Wesch connected with tight end Hunter Teafatiller for a 17-yard touchdown pass on a fake field goal attempt. 

The Huskers added a touchdown in the second quarter on a touchdown pass from quarterback Zac Taylor and another in the third on running back Marlon Lucky’s 40-yard touchdown run. Meanwhile, the Blackshirts held Kansas State to 22 yards on 18 carries and intercepted Josh Freeman twice as Nebraska won 21-3 for the program’s 800th victory.