s-brownhonor

Leigha Brown dribbles down the courts during the game against Michigan in Pinnacle Bank Arena on Dec. 28, 2019, in Lincoln, Nebraska.

Nebraska forward Leigha Brown was named Big Ten Women’s Basketball Freshman of the Week on Monday. Brown is Nebraska’s second-leading scorer with 10.4 points per game and ranks seventh among Big Ten freshmen in all-season scoring.

Brown had her two best performances of the season in consecutive road games against Ohio State and Iowa last week. In both games, she averaged 19.5 points, 2.0 rebounds, 2.0 assists and 1.5 steals in 18.0 minutes per game. Brown leads all Big Ten freshmen in scoring in conference contests, averaging 16.7 points per game.

Brown scored a then-career-high 19 points to help lead Nebraska to a 78-69 road win over Ohio State in Columbus, Ohio, on New Year’s Eve. She went 4-9 from the field and made 9-12 free throws to knock off the defending Big Ten champions and get Nebraska its first road win of the season.

Brown had an even better game in a 77-71 loss to No. 19 Iowa in Iowa City, Iowa, on Jan. 3. She put up a career-high 20 points by shooting 6-10 from the field, including a 3-4 performance from the three-point line. Brown also tied a career high with two steals in 18 minutes against Iowa.

Brown and Nebraska play No. 9 Maryland on Tuesday night at Pinnacle Bank Arena at 7 p.m.