Nebraska Volleyball vs. Stanford Photo No. 2

Lauren Stivrins (26) spikes the ball against Stanford at the Bob Devaney Center in Lincoln, Nebraska, on Wednesday, Sept. 28, 2019.

The Huskers traveled to Bloomington, Indiana and kicked off their weekend with a stomping of the Hoosiers. Nebraska had its No. 1 offense and No. 1 defense on full display against the Hoosiers to continue its win streak against Indiana, last losing in 1978.

No. 5 Nebraska beat Indiana 3-1 in sets of 22-25, 25-13, 25-16 and 25-14. Nebraska extended its winning streak to four matches and remain in second place in the Big Ten.

A dominant Nebraska win saw the night start off with the Huskers dropping the first set. It was Indiana’s first set win against Nebraska since 2012, behind freshman outside hitter Breana Edwards’ seven kills and junior outside hitter Kendall Beerman’s five kills. Edwards hit over .500 while Beerman hit over .300.

The two led Indiana’s offense but the rest of the Hoosiers struggled against Nebraska. The set remained almost deadlocked for the majority of the first set until it was tied at 15.

Then, Indiana went on a 4-0 run and led 21-16 before Cook called his second timeout. The second timeout helped the Huskers make the set closer but Nebraska did not overcome the deficit and Indiana won the set 25-22.

Down 1-0, the Huskers flipped the script and suffocated Indiana in the second set. Nebraska won 25-13 by responding with a great offensive performance.

Nebraska had three attack errors in the second set, six less than it did in the first set, and hit over .400. Freshman outside hitter Madi Kubik led Nebraska with five kills and junior middle blocker Lauren Stivrins had four kills.

On defense, Nebraska suffocated Indiana’s offense as the Hoosiers hit .061 and did not hit over .100 for the rest of the match. Edwards and Beerman combined for two kills in the second set and continued to crater for the rest of the match.

Edwards had eight kills in the next three sets while Beerman had five kills in the same timeframe. Nebraska’s outside hitters continued their consistent performances, as junior outside hitters Jazz Sweet and Lexi Sun had 27 total kills.

The two’s resurgence freed up the middle for Stivrins’ performance by forcing the Hoosiers to focus on three different integral pieces. Stivrins had four kills in the second set, already putting her at seven total kills.

Nebraska’s offense kept up in the last two sets, hitting .469 in the third and .472 in the fourth. Unlike Indiana’s great first set performance, Nebraska’s offense was a share of the wealth as four Huskers had double-digit kills.

Stivrins dominated the third set with seven kills as Nebraska cruised to a 25-16 win. Nebraska went on a key 10-1 run, breaking a tie and putting it up 22-12. The run was led by Sweet, who had three kills.

The Husker defense continued to suffocate and during that run, sophomore middle blocker Callie Schwarzenbach had two blocks. The Hoosiers had no answers for the stifling Husker defense and could not stop the high-powered Nebraska offense.

Indiana went on a quick 3-0 run to try and salvage the third set before Stivrins’ two kills ended the set and Nebraska led 2-1.

Another dominant performance by the Huskers in the fourth set sealed the win. Nebraska won 25-14 and sophomore setter Nicklin Hames had a rare two kills in one set.

The setter played phenomenal against Indiana with 51 assists and helped overcome the first set offensive struggles.

A different Husker led the team in kills for each set and it was no different in the fourth. Sun led with five kills, including the match-ending kill. Nebraska’s first set performance was forgotten despite the Huskers having more attack errors than Indiana.

Nebraska will remain in Indiana and play against No. 20 Purdue at 7:30 p.m. Saturday on the Big Ten Network.