Huskers win in tough Big 12 opener

Nebraska sophomore outside hitter Jordan Larson takes a swing against Kansas middle blocker Brittany Williams during Wednesday night's Big 12 Conference opener. Larson put down 11 kills as NU beat Kansas 30-24, 30-21, 30-24.

Former Husker volleyball players Jordan Larson-Burbach and Kelsey Robinson will return to Lincoln when the U.S. women’s volleyball team hosts a four-team, round-robin tournament at Pinnacle Bank Arena in June.

The U.S. team will host Brazil, Germany and Korea during the event as part of the FIVB Volleyball Nations League (VNL). The contests in Lincoln will take place from June 4-6 with two matches each day.

The VNL is a 16-country volleyball league that hosts a five-week long international event between the participating countries. The event began in Lincoln last year and Team USA won the inaugural VNL title, finishing with a record of 17-2.

Larson was a member of the 2006 Nebraska volleyball championship team. The Hooper, Nebraska, native was a three-time All-American while playing for the Huskers. At the end of her senior season in 2008-09, Larson held the school record for career service aces with 186. She also ranked fifth in kills, second in digs and seventh in solo blocks. The Huskers went 127-8 during Larson’s career.

After her career at Nebraska, Larson joined the U.S. national volleyball team. Larson played with the team at three FIVB World Championships (2010, 2014, 2018), winning gold in 2014. She has also medaled at two Olympics –– silver at the 2012 games in London and bronze in Rio in 2016.

Robinson spent her first three seasons of collegiate volleyball at Tennessee before transferring to Nebraska in 2013 ahead of her senior year. As a Volunteer, Robinson earned SEC Player of the Year honors in 2011 and was a first-team All-SEC selection in 2012. She left Tennessee with 1,205 career kills and 1,140 digs.

In her lone year as a Husker, Robinson started every match and totaled 530 kills and 396 digs, leading the team in both categories. Her 17 double-doubles helped her earn All-Big Ten honors, as she was named Big Ten Player of the Year.

On Team USA, Robinson switched from outside hitter to libero. She was a part of the 2014 and 2018 FIVB World Championship teams with Larson, as well as the bronze medal 2016 Olympic Team.

Team USA will play Korea on Tuesday, June 4, Germany on Wednesday, June 5, and will close out this leg of the event by facing Brazil on Thursday, June 6. The U.S. will play each day at 7:30 p.m. with a match preceding at 4:30 p.m.

All-session tickets are on sale now and single-game tickets go on sale starting Monday, Feb. 25. Tickets can be purchased at the Pinnacle Bank Arena ticket office or at ticketmaster.com.