Katie Cain

Kate Cain (31) high-fives assistant coach Tandem Mays during the game against Southern Illinois University on Nov. 11, 2017, at Pinnacle Bank Arena in Lincoln, Nebraska.

Freshman women’s basketball center Kate Cain was named Co-Big Ten Freshman of the Week on Monday after her performance in the Huskers’ season opener.

Cain came off the bench for the Huskers in their season opener against Southern Illinois University Edwardsville and made a major impact in her collegiate debut. The Middletown, New York, native recorded 18 points, nine rebounds and three blocks, helping her team to a 62-53 win on Saturday.

Coming into the season, Cain was the No. 83 player overall and the No. 10 post player in the nation, according to ESPN

Cain and sophomore guard Bria Stallworth recorded all 39 of Nebraska’s bench points against the SIUE Cougars. The duo helped the Huskers overcome a 38-30 deficit in the third quarter, with Cain recording six points during NU’s 13-0 run at the end of the quarter.

Cain shares the Big Ten honor with Purdue’s Karissa McLaughlin, as she scored 21 points, five assists and four steals in the Boilermakers victory over Central Michigan on Nov. 10. McLaughlin was also the first freshman to start a season opener for Purdue since 2010.

Nebraska women’s basketball takes on the University of Missouri-Kansas City Kangaroos on Tuesday, Nov. 14. Tip off is scheduled for 7 p.m. and can be streamed on BTN Plus.