Jordy Tshimanga rebounding

Jordy Tshimanga (32) rebounds the shot from Wisconsin's Ethan Happ at Pinnacle Bank Arena in Lincoln, Nebraska, on Jan. 9, 2018.

Sophomore center Jordy Tshimanga did not travel with Nebraska to Penn State this afternoon, and his status going forward with the team is unclear, according to multiple sources.

After a breakout freshman season, in which he started in nine games and averaged five points and four rebounds per game, Tshimanga saw a dip in performance despite starting every game so far this season.

So far, there is no official statement on the matter from the program.

Tshimanga, a 6-foot-11 sophomore from Montreal, Quebec, just scored a season-high nine points Tuesday night in Nebraska’s 63-59 win over Wisconsin. He also finished with six rebounds. Currently, he is averaging 3.5 points and 5.1 rebounds per game in 15.2 minutes of action. In addition, Tshimanga holds an average of nearly three fouls per game and has fouled out of four games this year.

While the Huskers already matched their win total from last season and reached 12 wins in the shortest amount of time under current coach, Tim Miles, they have had serious struggles from their frontcourt.

Tshimanga and Duby Okeke, Nebraska’s other center, are averaging a combined 4.4 points and 7.3 rebounds per game in 23.6 minutes of playing time. The Huskers have also been outscored in the paint by their opponent in 10 of 18 games, including all six of their losses.

After Nebraska’s win over Wisconsin, Tim Miles and fellow teammates spoke highly of Tshimanga and his importance on the team.

“I thought Jordy [Tshimanga] did a really nice job the second half,” Miles said. “He defended well. He was good for us on offense and on the glass. It was good to see and should give him a shot of confidence.”

“We need more of it to come,” Isaac Copeland said, referring to Tshimanga’s improvement.

Less than an hour before leaving for their flight to Pennsylvania, Miles spoke to the media and mentioned the importance of Tshimanga for their Friday night matchup at Penn State.

“He’s struggled,” Miles said. “There’s no doubt this year that he’s not been at his best and hopefully he can build off of that second half.”

When asked if he could continue to improve and help the team going forward, Miles said, “We’ll see.”

It is also worth noting that in two games against Penn State last season, Tshimanga scored 18 total points and grabbed 11 rebounds.

Nebraska will tip off at Penn State Friday, Jan. 12, at 6 p.m.