hildebrand 1

Volleyball assistant coach Tyler Hildebrand walks off the court after a 3-0 win over Oral Roberts at the Bob Devaney Sports Center in Lincoln, Nebraska, on Sept. 2, 2017.

Former Nebraska assistant coach Tyler Hildebrand will be returning to the team as an associate head coach, head coach John Cook announced Monday.

Despite not being at Nebraska the last two seasons, Hildebrand helped with Cook as a consultant. Hildebrand coached at Nebraska in the 2017 season, where the Huskers won their most recent national championship, but that was his only season with head coach John Cook. 

After the 2017 season ended, Hildebrand joined the USA Volleyball Beach National Team Program and currently serves as the director of coaching for the program. With the 2020 Tokyo Olympics coming up, Hildebrand will not join Cook’s staff until August.

For now, graduate assistant and former setter Kelly Hunter will step up as an interim assistant coach until August at Nebraska. Hunter will coach the Nebraska beach volleyball team and is expected to step down to volunteer coach once Hildebrand arrives.

The hire of Hildebrand also marks the first ever hire to the position of associate head coach in Cook’s tenure at Nebraska.

Hildebrand will replace Kayla Banwarth, who recently left her assistant coaching position at Nebraska to take a head coaching job at Ole Miss.