Baseball

Angelo Altavilla (7) runs to third in a game against Cal Poly at Hawks Field on March 10, 2018, in Lincoln, Nebraska.

Nebraska baseball traveled to Omaha for a midweek game against Creighton and was victorious over the Bluejays, 6-3.

Freshman Kyle Perry got the start on the mound for Nebraska. After the first two Bluejay hitters doubled to give the hosts a 1-0 lead in the bottom of the first inning, Perry pitched well. He stranded two runners in the first inning without allowing another run.

Nebraska responded in kind with sophomore Gunner Hellstrom and senior Angelo Altavilla doubling back-to-back to tie the game. Altavilla moved to third a batter later and scored when freshman Cam Chick reached on an error, giving Nebraska its first lead of the game and one it wouldn’t relinquish.

Perry returned to the mound for Nebraska and threw another shutout inning. In the top of the third, the offense gave the freshman starter some breathing room. Junior Joe Acker singled and sophomore Aaron Palensky doubled to put two runners in scoring position. A groundout by junior Mojo Hagge scored Acker and Palensky scored on a single by Hellstrom. Altavilla and sophomore Keegan Watson also singled in the inning to score Hellstrom and push Nebraska’s advantage to 5-1.

Perry pitched another scoreless inning before fellow freshman Shay Schanaman relieved him with two outs in the fourth inning. Perry pitched 3.2 innings total, allowing three hits, a walk and four strikeouts. He also allowed one run. Schanaman pitched well in relief, throwing 1.1 perfect innings. He struck out three of the four batters he faced.

Both offenses got runners on base against opposing relievers in the middle innings, but could not push them across. Nebraska squandered bases loaded opportunities in both the fourth and fifth innings, while Creighton wasted a one-out triple by Jordan Hovey in the fifth as well as two baserunners in the sixth.

Nebraska struck for another run in the seventh. Hagge singled to lead off the inning. He advanced to second on an error while Altavilla walked and Watson was hit by a pitch to load the bases. Freshman Colby Gomes hit a sacrifice fly that scored Hagge to give Nebraska a 6-1 lead.

Sophomore Max Schreiber pitched the seventh for Nebraska. He walked a pair of batters but also struck out a pair to keep Creighton off the scoreboard. The Husker bats were quiet in the eighth while Creighton scored a run off of senior reliever Mike Waldron, making the score 6-2 Nebraska. Altavilla helped Waldron out of the inning, diving up the middle to snag a line drive and touch second base to record the first two outs of the inning.

In the ninth, Nebraska drew a pair of walks but couldn’t score a run off Creighton’s Justin Wick and Ben Dotzler. The host Bluejays scored a run in the ninth off junior Robbie Palkert on a pair of hits and an error, but Palkert would close out the game to give Nebraska a 6-3 victory.

Nebraska and Creighton still have two games remaining, one in Lincoln (April 9, 6:35 p.m.) and Omaha (April 23, 7 p.m.) The Huskers are next in action this weekend with a series at Minnesota. Game one in Minneapolis is scheduled for Friday at 4 p.m.