Chad Red Jr. - 11.24.19

Nebraska’s Chad Red Jr. (red) walks off the mat after a matchup against Wyoming’s Chase Zollmann (grey) at the Bob Devaney Center on Friday, Nov. 22, 2019, in Lincoln, Nebraska.

On Sunday, the Nebraska wrestling team traveled to Cedar Falls, Iowa and defeated the No. 15 Northern Iowa Panthers, 23-19. The Huskers have now defeated back-to-back ranked opponents after defeating the No. 12 Wyoming Cowboys 28-7 on Friday. 

For the second time in the last two duals, the Huskers lost the first two matches of the dual. In the 125-pound weight class redshirt freshman Alex Thomson squandered an early 6-2 lead and was pinned by No. 16 Jay Schwarm in the third round. Then, in the 133-pound weight class, freshman Ridge Lovett, who had his redshirt removed to compete in this match, was pummeled by Jack Skudlarczyk 8-2. After the first two matches of the dual, the Panthers led the Huskers 9-0. 

In back-to-back duals, junior All-American No. 7 Chad Red Jr. was the one to provide a spark for the Huskers.Red Jr. scored a technical fall in less than three minutes, defeating Michael Blockhus 18-0 on Saturday. 

In the 149-pound weight class, senior Collin Purinton went up against No. 3 Max Thomsen. After the match was back and forth, it went to a sudden victory period where Purinton got a takedown to win the match by a decision of 9-7. 

Redshirt freshman Peyton Robb (157) and senior No. 4 Isaiah White (165) kept things going for the Huskers as both won their matches, with Robb pinning Keaton Geerts and White winning by a major decision of 13-5 over Austin Yant. After winning four consecutive matches, the Huskers led the Panthers 18-9. 

In the next two matches, two of Nebraska’s All-Americans, No. 3 Mikey Labriola (174) and No. 3 Taylor Venz (184), were defeated, narrowing the Huskers’ lead to 18-16. 

Getting the Huskers back on track in the 197-pound weight class, No. 11 Eric Schultz thrashed Noah Glaser 24-9, winning by a technical fall. This match gave the Huskers a 23-16 lead over the Panthers and with only one match remaining, it guaranteed the Huskers the victory in the dual. 

Next up for the Huskers is a trip to Las Vegas to compete in the annual Cliff Keen Invitational on Dec. 6-7.