Scott Frost file recruit update

On this file photo from April 17, 2018, head coach Scott Frost speaks to the press at Hawks Championship Center, in Lincoln, Nebraska.

It’s a race to the finish line as the Husker coaches aim to add the final pieces to the 2019 recruiting class with National Signing Day on Feb. 6 quickly approaching.

Since the last recruiting update, 4-star defensive back Noa Pola-Gates and 3-star JUCO running back Dedrick Mills have signed their letters of intent to play at Nebraska.

After these commitments, Nebraska’s class sits at 25 signees with one (3-star JUCO offensive lineman Desmond Bland) yet to sign. The 2019 recruiting class currently ranks 20th in the nation, according to 247sports.

There are still a few spots left in the class and head coach Scott Frost has a few players on his radar.

Two 3-star wide receivers, Charles Njoku and Demariyon Houston, are near the top of Frost’s wish list as Nebraska looks to replace senior Stanley Morgan Jr., one of the best wide receivers in the school’s history.

Njoku, who is the younger brother of Cleveland Browns tight end David Njoku, is a big-bodied wide receiver that Nebraska is currently lacking. Standing at 6 foot 5, Njoku would be a red-zone threat on the outside for the Huskers. He visited Lincoln the weekend of Jan. 11 and the Huskers appear to be the favorites for him.

Houston, who visited Lincoln last weekend, fits more stylistically with what Nebraska already has, but depth is needed at wide receiver. The speedster out of Oklahoma City would fit well into Frost’s offense and would be a strong addition late in the 2019 class.

The next prospect to watch out for is 3-star defensive tackle Matthew Pola-Mao, the cousin of recent Nebraska signee Noa Pola-Gates. Pola-Mao has narrowed his schools to Nebraska, Arizona State and USC. Nothing is confirmed, but Husker coaches hope he can make it to campus before National Signing Day.

One more prospect on Nebraska’s radar is 4-star defensive end Steven Parker from Dallas. Parker is an outstanding pass-rusher; something the Huskers severely lacked last season. Parker visited Jan. 11 and shortly after received a crystal ball prediction to the Huskers from 247 recruiting expert Steve Wiltfong.

These are just a few of the players that Nebraska is targeting to close out this class. Soni Fonua and John Bivens are two other names to watch out for in these final two weeks.

If Nebraska is able to get a few of these recruits to sign, it would be the cherry on top of what has been one of the best recruiting classes for the Huskers in recent memory.