s-practicenotes_Opp

University of Nebraska Quarterback Adrian Martinez answers questions from the media inside Memorial Stadium on Monday, Sept. 2, 2019, in Lincoln, Nebraska.

Husker football reflected on an interesting season opener and looked ahead to this weekend’s game at Colorado in Monday’s press conference.

“First off I think we’ve got to do a better job as a coaching staff to get us in the right stuff,” head coach Scott Frost said. “They made some changes in the offseason and I think we got a little too scheme-y with what we were expecting from them.”

Frost also mentioned that sophomore quarterback Adrian Martinez had a rough week of practice beforehand that played a part in not just his performance, but the whole offense’s performance.

Martinez put the blame on himself, saying his teammates deserved more from him.

“I think it starts with me and I don’t think I did my job well enough last week and that’s on me,” Martinez said.

The sophomore had one of his worst games in a Husker jersey on Saturday as he went 13-22 for 178 yards and an interception. Those numbers are far from what many expected going into the season and will need to improve for the Huskers to have a successful year.

Frost has no doubt Martinez will be able to turn around his performance and deliver when it matters.

“I’ll ride with Adrian anytime, my opinion of him hasn’t changed, my opinion of how great of a football player he is hasn’t changed,” Frost said.

Looking toward this week’s game, it’s the reignition of an old Big 12 rivalry. However, Martinez sees it as another chance for improvement.

“[I’m] looking forward to having this chance for the offense to get better next week,” Martinez said. “We have another chance thankfully, and we are pumped up about playing this game. We are just going to take it game by game.” 

Last season, Martinez was injured in the Colorado game on a questionable play by a Colorado linebacker. None of the players were biting on that potential storyline.

Senior linebacker Mohamed Barry was more focused on the atmosphere from last year’s showdown in Lincoln.

“The competition level was high,” Barry said. “I think both sides competed at a high level that game. Plays were being made all around. This year I am just ready to have that same feeling, and I’m ready to attack with this defense.”

The atmosphere of the game is not the only atmosphere that will be in effect on Saturday as the altitude change will be a new challenge for the Huskers. Folsom Field sits at 5,360 feet above sea level, which is over 4,000 feet higher than Lincoln’s elevation.

Frost said he doesn’t think it will have a huge effect on the Huskers as they are in good shape and practice at a high pace already.

One other move of note was that junior safety Deontai Williams was still listed as the starting safety after exiting the South Alabama game with a shoulder injury. Frost said his status is still in the air for Saturday, but after senior safety Eric Lee Jr.’s excellent performance in his stead, there is a proven backup who can play when necessary.

The Huskers play Colorado at 2:30 p.m. local time on Saturday in Boulder, Colorado. Television coverage is provided by FOX.